Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How to make cornmeal anything taste better

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

How to make cornmeal anything taste better

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:17 pm

I made johnnycakes for breakfast this morning--a common move for me if I forgot or was too lazy to start sourdough waffles the night before. I know I mentioned this some time ago, but I'm still astounded at the increase in flavor after I started adding a portion of stone-ground whole grain medium grind cornmeal to the mix.

There's really no comparison to run-of-the-mill cornmeal. (Now there's an interesting question: the phrase, "run-of-the-mill." I know the definition, but what does it really mean?)

I've tried the whole grain meal in cornbread, too, with similar results. Just adding a cup or less does the trick.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Re: How to make cornmeal anything taste better

by AaronW » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I made johnnycakes for breakfast this morning--a common move for me if I forgot or was too lazy to start sourdough waffles the night before. I know I mentioned this some time ago, but I'm still astounded at the increase in flavor after I started adding a portion of stone-ground whole grain medium grind cornmeal to the mix.

There's really no comparison to run-of-the-mill cornmeal. (Now there's an interesting question: the phrase, "run-of-the-mill." I know the definition, but what does it really mean?)

I've tried the whole grain meal in cornbread, too, with similar results. Just adding a cup or less does the trick.

Here's an interesting link, Larry:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... e=20010508
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:52 am

I'm not that much into baking, so I'm not ashamed to admit using mixes. Often with chili I like to make corn bread and use the Jiffy (R) brand mix. However, I like to substitute some of the liquid ingredients with a can of creamed corn (it's the only thing I use creamed corn for). Then I spoon the batter on top of the chili and bake it. 8)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:17 am

Thanks for the link, Aaron.

And, Howie, the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook recipe for cornbread is the best and easiest I've ever used. And it doesn't take much longer than pouring a mix out of a box. The longest part is that I have to walk down some stairs to get my cornmeal.
no avatar
User

Taze Rowe

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm

by Taze Rowe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 am

What is your recipe for johnnycakes? I bought johnnycake "mix" at a small country store in Rhode Island a few months back, and I made some this weekend. I'm not 100% sure that I made them correctly, as I am not sure I have ever had a proper one to compare. What I got was not entirely unlike a grilled polenta cake.

It turns out the mix was just ground flint cornmeal, and the intructions mainly involed a little water and some butter. That said, the meal itself was amazing quality, so I was very happy to eat my grilled polenta! With lesser materials, this would not have worked at all.

If you haven't seen their products, seek out anything from Anson Mills:

http://www.ansonmills.com/

They are making super quality polenta, grits, masa and more from heirloom corn. It isn't cheap, and the cooking is old-school (grits take about 3 hours), but you will never look at the products the same way again. I use the grits anywhere soft polenta would work and people are amazed.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 am

Larry Greenly wrote:...And, Howie, the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook recipe for cornbread is the best and easiest I've ever used.

Thanks, Larry - I have the cookbook, so I'll check it out!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Throw in some whole grain cornmeal for extra extra flavor.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:31 pm

Taze Rowe wrote:What is your recipe for johnnycakes? .

With my memory, I don't know if I posted this before or not, but here goes:

Johnnycakes

1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs butter
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup milk.

Add 1st 4 ingredients to bowl; pour over water and mix well; add milk and mix. Adjust viscosity to your liking. Drop spoonfuls of batter onto hot, greased griddle til browned, then flip over and brown other side.

Goes great with maple or corncob syrup.