Black pasta?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: Black pasta?

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:46 pm

Dunno from French black pasta, but the Italian version is generally colored with squid ink. Like green spinach or red tomato pasta, it's more about color and appearance than flavor.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jenise » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Randy's probably in a dead faint upon getting that news.

Have to admit, I find the color/idea of squid ink a bit offputting. Not so bad in the pasta, but the first time I saw it, at Harry's Bar in Venice, the ink was used to color a risotto. It was hideously unattractive, particularly once it got moved around in the white bowl a bit. Ugh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Whoa

Postby Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:00 pm

I'm not sure I could do squid ink in my pasta or risotto. 'Course, I don't eat squid in any form or any parts thereof, so.....
Cynthia Wenslow
Pizza Princess

Re: Whoa

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'm not sure I could do squid ink in my pasta or risotto. 'Course, I don't eat squid in any form or any parts thereof, so.....

I bought some a couple of months ago and cooked it up for the kids. The squid ink seemed to contribute no flavor whatsoever, but the black noodles looked kinda cool on the white bowls.

I've thought about trying to make my own, but have never been quite ambitious enough to do it.

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Peter May » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm

I think black pasta looks unattractive, and I've been disappointed with the coloured pastas - red & green.

Seems to detract from the colour of the sauce. I prefer plain, unflavoured pasta to act as a background and platform for the sauce.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Jenise » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:54 pm

What is the ink part anyway? I presume it's a defense-mechanism and not a fluid otherwise integral to the life of the squid, right? I mean, it's not blood or anything.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Peter May » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:06 pm

Jenise wrote:What is the ink part anyway? I presume it's a defense-mechanism and not a fluid otherwise integral to the life of the squid, right? I mean, it's not blood or anything.

No - itsthe ink they squirt when attacked.

However, I don't think that means that there are ink-maids with three legged stools that 'milk' the squid of its ink. :)

The ink is taken from dead 'uns.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Leslie D. » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:25 am

Jenise wrote:Randy's probably in a dead faint upon getting that news.

Have to admit, I find the color/idea of squid ink a bit offputting. Not so bad in the pasta, but the first time I saw it, at Harry's Bar in Venice, the ink was used to color a risotto. It was hideously unattractive, particularly once it got moved around in the white bowl a bit. Ugh.

I have to admit I also find it off putting. I had a recipe that called for black linguine, it was to be sauced with a champagne cream and scallop mixture. I boiled the linguine, drained it, looked at it, poured it down the drain.

I'm not squeamish about much, but black pasta is just not appealing.
Leslie D.
Wine geek

Postby John Tomasso » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:31 am

Somewhat off topic....I was once sitting in a restaurant, across from a table at which a guy was eating cuttlefish. Apparently, cuttlefish use a similar "ink defense mechanism" as do the squid.
Anyway, somehow or other, the guy cuts into the fish, and black ink shoots out, all over his expensive silk shirt. He threw a fit, which, for some reason, I found very funny.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of ink in my pasta, either.
John Tomasso
Too Big to Fail

Postby Jenise » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm

"wheaty/brownish" pasta

Randy, indeed it exists. Strong in flavor though, and it need of strong, heavy sauces. Think more toward bacon than tomato.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:16 am

John Tomasso wrote:Somewhat off topic....I was once sitting in a restaurant, across from a table at which a guy was eating cuttlefish. Apparently, cuttlefish use a similar "ink defense mechanism" as do the squid.

Yep, all the cephalopods of the squid/octopus/cuttlefish family squirt ink as a defensive mechanism. Some snails, such as nudibranchs (sea slugs) and the murex snail do this, too. Cuttlefish ink is the famous dye, sepia. The ink of the Mediterranean murex snail is Tyrean Purple, a dye so rare in Roman times that it was reserved for the Emperor's robes.

As a food dye, it's not any different (other than being a tad more exotic) than using saffron or turmeric to dye food yellow, or spinach in pasta to color it green.

-Paul W. (who'd rather his pasta stay whitish-yellow)
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Return to The Forum Kitchen