The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jamie Goode and his harvest pics.....Paul B and Howie please note!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Jamie Goode and his harvest pics.....Paul B and Howie please note!!!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:52 am

Some terrific pics on Jamie`s webpage. Look on right hand side..."Harvest 2006".

http://www.wineanorak.com
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Jamie Goode and his harvest pics.....Paul B and Howie please note!!!!

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Thanks for posting Bob, but that looks too much like work! :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:56 am

Bob, many thanks for posting this amazing link. And Jamie, if perchance you're reading this - what an awesome slideshow that is. I loved every bit of it.

I think it's important to note for our readers who may not be aware, that Regent is actually a hybrid variety, though I think that some have tried to have it considered a disease-resistant vinifera for all intents and purposes (the intricacies of this were never something that I studied in-depth).

The Seyval Blanc is looking absolutely gorgeous! Very healthy bunches, and the vine looks extremely happy and vigorous. I'm very pleased to see this lovely English Seyval.

And as for the harvest photo, I hardly think it's corny at all - it is actually very tastefully composed!

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing!!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

jamiegoode

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:58 am

London

by jamiegoode » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Paul, isn't Regent a hybrid cross? Silvaner x mueller thurgau with Chambourcin - so at least 1/2 vinifera!

Bob, thanks for posting - this is my first time as an amateur winemaking. Just processed the last of the seyval. But it's the reds that really interest me. Amazing colour already. If it survives elevage, I'd be happy to send a bottle - or bring one to an offline - for the experts to pronounce judgement on.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:16 pm

According to the Winegrape Glossary link on the WLDG Front Page:

REGENT:
(Pronounced "ray-ghent"). Has synonym name of Geilweilerhof 67-198-3. Has complex parentage of Diana Hamburg x Chambourcin cultivars. Bred for disease resistance, a recent (1998) vintage in the Pfaltz, Germany, required no spraying during the season and produced a good red wine. Growers in Michigan, USA, report winter hardiness is better than Riesling with frost resistance of at least -16 deg. F. (ca -27 C.) with no protection. Wine reported to have good color, moderate tannins and a fruit aroma/taste profile reminiscent of Rhone, France red wines.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:36 pm

Dornfelder! Cool! Will it be done in the off-dry style?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:51 pm

jamiegoode wrote:Paul, isn't Regent a hybrid cross? Silvaner x mueller thurgau with Chambourcin - so at least 1/2 vinifera!

Bob, thanks for posting - this is my first time as an amateur winemaking. Just processed the last of the seyval. But it's the reds that really interest me. Amazing colour already. If it survives elevage, I'd be happy to send a bottle - or bring one to an offline - for the experts to pronounce judgement on.

Thanks for being here Jamie. I thought you would be interested in what the guys are up too here. Wonder how many winemakers we have on this forum?? You can be Honorary President of the WLDG Winos!! No benefits however.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:25 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
jamiegoode wrote:Paul, isn't Regent a hybrid cross? Silvaner x mueller thurgau with Chambourcin - so at least 1/2 vinifera!

Thanks for being here Jamie. I thought you would be interested in what the guys are up too here. Wonder how many winemakers we have on this forum?? You can be Honorary President of the WLDG Winos!! No benefits however.

Not even a darn decoder ring!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:11 pm

What can I say Bob, I think it was a post you submitted a year ago that got me hooked on Jamie’s website (I believe it was entitled “Interesting article on Tannin”). BTW Jamie welcome and I enjoy visiting your website and reading your feature articles.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:21 pm

Howie Hart wrote:REGENT:
(Pronounced "ray-ghent"). Has synonym name of Geilweilerhof 67-198-3. Has complex parentage of Diana Hamburg x Chambourcin cultivars. Bred for disease resistance, a recent (1998) vintage in the Pfaltz, Germany, required no spraying during the season and produced a good red wine. Growers in Michigan, USA, report winter hardiness is better than Riesling with frost resistance of at least -16 deg. F. (ca -27 C.) with no protection. Wine reported to have good color, moderate tannins and a fruit aroma/taste profile reminiscent of Rhone, France red wines.

Interesting entry, Howie. I think that with all these qualities, it is amazing that we hear so little of varietal Regent produced in Michigan or anywhere else in Eastern N. A. I think that wineries ought to giddy up and start planting this variety. I for one would love to see some grown in Ontario just to see what the varietal characteristics of it would be here.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:23 pm

That's it! I knew there was a fair bit of it in there, but I wasn't up on the specifics.

In any case, a very interesting and promising variety by all accounts.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 pm

jamiegoode wrote:... this is my first time as an amateur winemaking....

I've read here that there is a slippery slope once one has a great Burgundy, but I have yet to have that epiphany. However, I can attest to 30 years of going down the slippery slope of home winemaking. Welcome aboard Jamie! :)
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:26 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Some terrific pics on Jamie`s webpage. Look on right hand side..."Harvest 2006".

http://www.wineanorak.com

An awesome slideshow; loved it.

Does anyone know of a website that focuses on wine related photography?