The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Still raving about the white Rhone varietals!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Still raving about the white Rhone varietals!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:28 am

Ever since I can remember, I have been a big fan of S France whites. The other day, I had a chance to taste some Garretson wines here in Edmonton and Mat will be in town Wed/Thurs. Here is a terrific Rhone-Ranger forumites!

Today, I was out and about and found 3 of his whites at a local wine store. I also came across an interesting white from Seppelt, Victoria. The`04 Bellfield Marsanne/Rousanne, Glenlofty Vineyard Pyrenees. Should be an interesting wine eh.

Hope this place will work! I am gonna push for a WT 101 here, you all know that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Still raving about the white Rhone varietals!

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:48 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I am gonna push for a WT 101 here, you all know that.

We might give it a different name, Bob, but the concept will certainly live, and I think we can bridge both forums with it.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:48 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Ever since I can remember, I have been a big fan of S France whites. The other day, I had a chance to taste some Garretson wines here in Edmonton and Mat will be in town Wed/Thurs. Here is a terrific Rhone-Ranger forumites!

Today, I was out and about and found 3 of his whites at a local wine store. I also came across an interesting white from Seppelt, Victoria. The`04 Bellfield Marsanne/Rousanne, Glenlofty Vineyard Pyrenees. Should be an interesting wine eh.

Hope this place will work! I am gonna push for a WT 101 here, you all know that.

White Rhones rock! I don't know why I like them though. They have little acidity and lots of fruit - both attributes which usually turn me off. I suppose it's the astounding minerality and complexity that the best examples can have. The Chave Hermitage Blanc 2001 tasted exactly a week ago still brings a smile to my face!

The Garretsons do freak me out a bit based on the descriptions I've read of them. I would of course like to try them, but forgive me for being a bit wary. I know it's a topic much discussed before and one which divides people, but I have to mention the high alcohols. I understand that some say that balance is all and that these wines are balanced. But from the paradigm upon which I base my appreciation, balance and freshness are all. Balance alone does not do the trick for me. I accept that many (most, in fact) will not ascribe to my paradigm, so I hope others - those most vocal in talking up high alc wines - will accept that I do not ascribe to theirs. So far I have not had a single table wine which is both balanced and fresh which was over 14,5%. But I will admit that the Rhone varietals tend to take high alcohol better than most other varietals, so I'm keeping my mind open despite the 16%+ that these wines have. :)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Today, I was out and about and found 3 of his whites at a local wine store. I also came across an interesting white from Seppelt, Victoria. The`04 Bellfield Marsanne/Rousanne, Glenlofty Vineyard Pyrenees. Should be an interesting wine eh..

What Garretson wines did you find, Bob? I see his reds around from time to time but nary a white.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Rhone whites

by Doug Surplus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 am

Interesting that I find this new location and this topic just after I opened my first Rhone white - a Rousanne from Colibri in SE Arizona. I don't know if it's typical for the variety, but it's darn good. Low acidity as Bob mentions, but some tannins, with a nose and flavor profile more akin to a red wine.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:01 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:White Rhones rock! I don't know why I like them though. They have little acidity and lots of fruit ...Otto

It's the low acidity that always gets to me, too, so when these wines show up I tend to take a very small pour and leave the wines for the people who enjoy them most. But a few weeks a friend brought over a '94 southern white rhone that had all kinds of acid and profundity. I would have loved to have dragged it into a corner and drunk the whole thing myself. We paired it with little puff pastry bundles stuffed with sauteed raddichio, tellegio cheese and truffle slices--a damned good match. But that was an unusual bottle--typically, I take a tiny sip and leave the majority for those who really appreciate that style.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:29 am

Its good to hear from you Otto. Today I picked up a Viognier from Ch Pesquie, think this winery is S Rhone altho label reads Vins de Pays Portes de Mediterrannee.

Question? How does one highlight a quote here? I would have liked to highlight a few lines fron Ottos posting!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:01 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Question? How does one highlight a quote here? I would have liked to highlight a few lines fron Ottos posting!

Bob, the easy way is to reply to a post by hitting the QUOTE button on the upper right quadrant of that post. This gives you a reply page with the entire post to which you are replying quoted. Then if you don't want to include it all in the "backquote," just delete the parts you don't want.

Clear? If not, ask, and we'll try some more.