The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: CRB. Christoffel, Colin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: CRB. Christoffel, Colin

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:55 pm

2004 Marc Colin "La Combe" Bourgogne Sweet pear fruit with a bit of apple blossom and vanilla, nice flavors, but it somehow seems a bit empty. I don't expect basic Bourgognes to be models of concentration, but this borders on dilution, and there's no need for that in this vintage. B-

2002 JJ Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Kabinett

Due to plastic corks (some bottles have plastic, some natural, this was an extruded cork) I'm trying to finish off these. This seems sweeter than last bottle, very peachy with just a hint of lime. Not complex,but a good deal at well under $10. Went well with some chicken-jalapeno sausage, as well as grilled (storebought) polenta and squash. B

2004 Clos Roche Blanche Gamay (Touraine)
I'm usually the first (well, in the first 100) to sing the praises of CRB, but a previous bottle didn't thrill me, though I liked. But I didn't finish this over 3 nights, and the rest went into vinegar crock. Good acidity, nice bright raspberrym and strawberry fruit. But what was a nice herby edge before has gone into a somewhat weedy/funky green thing. Reminds me of houseplants- or maybe houseplant food. Other bottle was better, this is for me a C.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: CRB. Christoffel, Colin

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:17 pm

2004 Clos Roche Blanche Gamay (Touraine)...Reminds me of houseplants- or maybe houseplant food

Great descriptors.

I have also found the gamay to be the most difficult-to-like of their bottlings.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:24 am

Dale, I opened a bottle of the 2004 CRB Gamay on Tuesday and I would have preferred houseplants. Instead, I was greeted with the most overwhelming dose of merde I've ever gotten from a bottle of wine. I don't mind a little funk, but this was overpowering. There was also some spritz. The next night the sewage had dissipated somewhat but was still pretty strong and not particularly pleasant. Last night, finally, it had lifted leaving a decent wine with bright gamay fruit, some earth and lots of minerals. A bottle opened several months ago did not have this issue, though I wouldn't have classified it as great either. Anyway, like you, I usually enjoy CRB wines but something about the 2004 gamay does seem to be problematic.
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Brett is one thing, but the '02 CRB Gamay is one freaky wine. I saved 2 bottles and gave away 2 after trying it twice. I like your desription as well, yet I would describe the '02 as a "mouth full-o dirt"...and I'm not speaking in terrior tongues. This post has reminded me to open a bottle and see if any miracles have occured.
Regards,
Gregg