Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: 2 x Oolong

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: 2 x Oolong

by Saina » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm

For some reason oolongs have never been teas that I've fallen in love with. I've never quite understood why. They tend to have a Pinot Noir -like earthiness and fruitiness and a general aromatic quality that with my wine tastes I should like. It is, I guess as with Sauvignon Blanc and Sangiovese, one of these perplexing de gustibus.... matters that doesn't have a proper explanation, but only funny pseudo-explanations.

But thanks to CharlesTaylor of the UK wine forum, I did get to try one absolutely smashing Oolong and one rather fine Oolong.

Mi Lan Xiang (Guangdong; it says "phoenix" oolong on the lable - no idea what that is?) was the absolutely smashing one: fresh, green, floral and vegetal scent. Fine tannins, fine fruit and great length. This was perfectly harmonious and such a delight to drink. A tea that I have fallen in love with. :)

White Tip Oolong (Taiwan) was only very nice! ;) This was floral and orange-like as oolongs in my limited experience tend to be, but had that bread-like/yeasty note that I'm not too fond of. The palate was more full bodied than with the Mi Lan Xiang, but not as elegant. A nice tea that I'm happy to drink always, but not a tea that I would fall in love with.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.