The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My first Foch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: My first Foch

by wrcstl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:01 am

They say you will always remember your first Foch and this one was quite nice. Took a Hart Cellars '04 Foch-Vidal to a pizza party with a bunch of wine geeks in attendance. This was the first wine opened and quite honestly I did not know what to expect. The wine was soft with nice fruit and no wild or briary notes. It was a light wine that probably should have been served slightly chilled. Everyone agreed it was enjoyable and easy to drink, a definite quaffer. Didn't realize it until I stared at the label, guess it has some Vidal in it; Duh!! Not sure what percent but definitely added to the wines softness. The bottle was enjoyed and emptied quickly. Next came three Chiantis, one Siduri PN and one Italian IGT, bigger wines but nothing more interesting than my first Foch.
Walt
Last edited by wrcstl on Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: My first Foch

by Paul B. » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 am

Walt, it gives me great pleasure to welcome you over to our side. :wink:

I've had Howie's Foch as well and think it is a great pizza or ribs kind of wine. I think that Howie blends Vidal, though, not Seyval, into it - about 50/50 if I recall correctly, though I'm sure he'll chime in to let us know what the proportions are.

In Ontario, straight Foch makes very inky, almost black-ruby wines with very forward, rustic aromas in hot vintages (kind of like Norton) and more gentle plummy/cherry notes in cooler years.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:47 am

Walt, good notes! Survivor.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:48 am

Walt - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I forgot I sent you that. As Paul pointed out, it is a 50/50 blend with Vidal, not Seyval. Generally, a 100% Foch is very inky dark, but this blend is my customary spaghetti wine. I think this year I'll be making both a 100% Foch and some of the blend.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:55 am

Howie Hart wrote:Walt - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I forgot I sent you that. As Paul pointed out, it is a 50/50 blend with Vidal, not Seyval. Generally, a 100% Foch is very inky dark, but this blend is my customary spaghetti wine. I think this year I'll be making both a 100% Foch and some of the blend.

Howie,
Sorry about the Seyval Vidal mix up. It obviously had someting toning it down and making it a quaffer. It seemed like 55-60 degrees would have been an ideal temperature and can see how you would drink this with spaghetti. There was nothing complex about this wine, just easy to drink and not what I was expecting, sorta like why I drink rose' in the summer. So I guess I have still not had my first real foch. Since I am a vinifera guy maybe I should leave well enough alone. :D
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm

wrcstl wrote:They say you will always remember your first Foch...

A curious anthropological detail: studies show that folks from up north don't remember their first foch because they were too drunk when enjoying it...

...though I guess that's not what you meant. fnarr fnarr.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:44 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
wrcstl wrote:They say you will always remember your first Foch...

A curious anthropological detail: studies show that folks from up north don't remember their first foch because they were too drunk when enjoying it...

...though I guess that's not what you meant. fnarr fnarr.

I will remember my first Foch as I was not too drunk and was very excited and looking forward to it.
Walt