The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Outside of the big-name V. Champagne, who are the better producers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Outside of the big-name V. Champagne, who are the better producers?

by JoePerry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Outside of the big-name vintage Champagne, who are some great producers of vintage bubbly that fly under the radar?

So, no: Bollinger, Salon, Krug, Moet/Dom, Roederer, Tattinger, Billecart-Salmon, Veuve Clicquot, Pol Roger, C. Heidsieck, Philpponnat, Perrier Jouet, Selosse, Jacquesson...

I'd like to add some good vintage Champagne to my cellar, but I'm really only familiar with the big boys. Price is a concern, but quality is an even greater concern. I don't want to waste my money on a prestige name if there is as good or better being produced elsewhere. Also, it's always nice to support the lesser-known guys. I prefer BdN and Rose, but for the sake of completeness I don’t want BdB to be left out.

Thanks,
Joe
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Outside of the big-name V. Champagne, who are the better

by Saina » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:02 pm

JoePerry wrote:I prefer BdN and Rose, but for the sake of completeness I don’t want BdB to be left out.

Thanks,
Joe

For some nice and friendly (instead of too shrill) BdB try anything that says Special Club on the label: Gonet and Gimonnet (Gimonnet's other wines are receommendable as well) are ones I've recently tried and have been impressed with. Then of course there is Boulard.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Outside of the big-name V. Champagne, who are the better producers?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:03 pm

JoePerry wrote:Outside of the big-name vintage Champagne, who are some great producers of vintage bubbly that fly under the radar?

Joe, I don't know how far under the radar they are, but some of the small producers I like include Egly-Ouriet, Da Sousa, Tarlant and Chartogne-Taillet. Another hint: Terry Thiese, along with German and Austrian goodies, has a small but nicely chosen portfolio of "farmer fizz" that's worth looking for.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:30 pm

Thanks, guys.

And to clarify, I'm not looking for a cheap fix, just the best vintage Champagne not from those houses.

Robbin, I've heard of Egly-Ouriet, Da Sousa and Chartogne-Taillet (but not Tarlant). Stylistically, what would you akin them to?

Thanks!
Joe
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:06 pm

V. and N.V. Pierre Moncuit
Last edited by James Dietz on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:22 pm

At the bottom of a Champagne bottle there is a code starting with two letters followed by six didgets. Look for the the letters R.M. This stands for Recoltant-Manipulant or "grower/producer." It is difficult to go wrong with one of these.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:12 pm

A big "AMEN" on the R.M. designation. I always tell customers that the most important letters on the label are in the smallest type.

First, to second a couple recommendations: Pierre Gimmonet, Chartogne-Taillet (see if you can find their premium "Fiacre") and Pierre Moncuit (his grand cru blanc-de-blanc is out of this world) are all terrific.

A few more RMs of excellent quality: Gaston Chiquet; Diebold-Vallois (their vintage "Fleur de Passion" is excellent); Doquet-Jeanmaire is a Societe de Recoltants, being a joint venture of Pascal Doquet and his father, with properties in Mesnil-sur-Oger and a few other locations. They make lovely aromatic Champagne, of which the Millesme BdB vintage stuff is said to be very long-lasting; finally, Jean Milan's "Terre de Noel," still fermented and aged in oak barrels--not a style for everyone, but I dig it.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:38 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:At the bottom of a Champagne bottle there is a code starting with two letters followed by six didgets. Look for the the letters R.M. This stands for Recoltant-Manipulant or "grower/producer." It is difficult to go wrong with one of these.

Good info.. but when you say `the bottom', do you mean the bottom of the bottle, literally, or the bottom of the label?
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:30 pm

Label in very small letters/numbers. Info comes from Gluckstern's "Wine Avenger."
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Joe, If you can find it, give Jacques Sellose (sp?) a try. He makes a complex and potent champagne that packs a nice punch. Both the V and NV that I have tasted are excellent
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

by Josh » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Louise?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:56 am

well, since i love champagne and have visited a couple of times this year, i will chime in. from you list of don't mentions, laurent perrier seems notable by its absence - probably an oversight. nevertheless, the grand cuve of grand siecle is one of the finest champagnes available at any price - and it can be had for around $70! i know it is fashionable to think that the large houses don't do quality stuff; but i recently had the NV Brut Reserve from Billecart Simon - $40 in chicago. wow! this was one of the finest, most complete bubbly's i've had - just delicious. but generally, the RM's are very interesting and i certainly agree with gimonet and diebolt-valois - though the red label diebolt is nothing to write home about. my 'go to' house is gatinois - esp the reserve - though the regular NV can be aged an additional year for the same result. i also enjoy margaine, marget-bonnerave and aubry. happy hunting! champagne is a nice place to visit btw - not at all crowded and very pretty is many parts.
david creighton