Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best flavored meat comes from dairy cows?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Best flavored meat comes from dairy cows?

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:30 pm

I was buying my favorite jack cheese at the Farmer's Market today and picked up their monthly newsletter. I am confused by the following excerpt.

"Because we allow our dairy cows to raise their own calves, selling the male calves for beef becomes an important part of our farm enterprise. These are very nice animals that have lived a low-stress life.
Farmers know the best flavored meat comes from dairy cows."

I've never heard this before, nor have I given it any thought. What is your opinion?
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Best flavored meat comes from dairy cows?

by Bernard Roth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:34 pm

This statement may be referring to the breed of cow rather than gender.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Depends on the cow, and in this case, the calf. Holsteins are good milking cows, and make great beef. I'm less impressed with meat from Jerseys or Guernseys -- but Milking Shorthorns produce wonderful beef.

Little bit of sellers talk, I think: veal from the calf of any young bovine, milking or not, is going to taste pretty much the same.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Bob, WOW, I am so much in agreement with you. The male offspring of a milk cow, is naturally destined for the slaughter house, but what happens between his birth and his demise is for sure going to make a difference in what we carnivores perceive regarding the beef. I think this is 100% hype, and has no value on it's own merits, unless the statement is not fully reported.
Bob Henrick