The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Pibarnon 1996

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: Chateau Pibarnon 1996

by Dave Moritz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Chateau Pibarnon 1996; red; AOC Bandol; 13% alc.

Upon opening, it fills the air with a fruity aroma. Very long cork, almost black on the business end! The bouquet shows dusty plum, a Syrah-like spiciness and perhaps a bit of turmeric. The color is red brick all the way across. After 24 hours of air time, the palate finally opens as rich in primary fruit flavors balanced by firm tannins and other acids. Decent finish with some length. Almost Bordeaux-like in its elegance. Still young! Will try it again in two or three years.

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Chateau Pibarnon 1996

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:46 am

It always amazes me that Bandol appears to be so unnoticed in various wine tasting circles. S France produces some terrific reds and lovers of the Mourvedre should try to search out this appellation. Otto and I are getting together this weekend to taste some Chateau Bunan on Open Mike so join us.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:52 am

The owner of my favorite wine shop, Tuccas, in Davis turned me onto Bandol. I've got one cellared now. (He also turned me onto a feral CORSICAN wine that is not to everyone's taste, but....I like interesting wines, so...Another developing wine region, perhaps?)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks Dave. Your note reminds me that I haven't had a Bandol in quite some time. Everything I have in my cellar are even more youthful than this '96 that you had so I may have to wait a while longer to give Bandol a go again.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:It always amazes me that Bandol appears to be so unnoticed in various wine tasting circles. S France produces some terrific reds and lovers of the Mourvedre should try to search out this appellation. Otto and I are getting together this weekend to taste some Chateau Bunan on Open Mike so join us.

Mourvèdre oftens smells of s**t so of course as the resident coprophiliac I love the wines. It's just such a dashed shame that we so few of them. If we had more, you'd for sure hear more of this delightful region, lol! :)

Thanks for the note Dave! The plumminess that you noted had often in blind tastings made me (especially in the cases of Pibarnon and Tempier) go to Pomerol! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to get a slightly Bx feeling about some of these wines.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.