The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How much in the cellar?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

Re: How much in the cellar?

by Graeme Gee » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Cellar varies between 400 - 450 (max fridge capacity). According to my spreadsheet, around 130-odd bottles are at or starting their 'peak' from now/07/08. Only a dozen bottles or so are at the end of their peak now(although you never know that until you open them). A lot of short-term stuff gets rotated through the cellar fairly regularly - I suppose overall consumption is around 150 bottles pa.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:40 am

OW Holmes wrote: I do understand your plight.

I'll bet we are not alone, OW. It is, however, a good thing that people who don't really appreciate good wine don't seem to fake interest in it just to get a good bottle of wine, or 700. If they don't love wine, they don't relate to it as a thing of value. That's why I kind of freely advertise without takers or fear of fakers.

Covert
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 am

Covert wrote:When I die I will have 700 bottles of very fine Bordeaux left in my cellar...

If I were to die right now, I would have several carboys of un-bottled home made wine and several dozen bottles of bubbly in the riddling rack. None of my 5 sons would know what to do with this except drink a lot of the stuff I already bottled at my funeral. I do have a few cases of assorted store-bought wine too, including some Bordeaux. Although the boys help me sometimes, crushing and pressing, carrying the heavy carboys in and out of the basement, none of them seem iterested in learning the ropes. :?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Covert wrote:Ronica, I maintain about 700 bottles of Bordeaux. I let the best vintages age and drink the so-called lesser vintages, which usually last 10 to 15 years. They are not always lesser to me. When I drink a couple of cases, I buy a couple more.

When I die I will have 700 bottles of very fine Bordeaux left in my cellar, because the best ones won't be ready anytime soon. I am determined to find a surrogate niece to will them to. My real niece isn't interested, and seems to like New World wines better, anyway. In in my travels, when I meet pretty young women who seem to like wine, I challenge them to develop and demonstrate a taste in Bordeaux, so that I can leave my modest collection to them. They think I am kidding, or they don't care, or whatever, because they never accept the challenge. I'll find one eventually.

Covert

Amy is a perfect candidate. She's young, she's sweet, and she loves Bordeaux. I, functioning as the evil wine-buying monopoly, haven't purchased a bottle of red Bordeaux in years. I'll try and trade one every so often for her, but other than that she relies on jeebuses to get her fix.

How can you say no?
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Shaji wrote:Not enough say I. More than enough sayeth everybody else.

Exactly!
It is all relative. We have a bigger vintage keeper (from 220 to 440)now so I would like to fill that puppy.

I have friends with thousands of bottles, so I consider our collection very modest!
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:02 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Covert wrote:Ronica, I maintain about 700 bottles of Bordeaux. I let the best vintages age and drink the so-called lesser vintages, which usually last 10 to 15 years. They are not always lesser to me. When I drink a couple of cases, I buy a couple more.

When I die I will have 700 bottles of very fine Bordeaux left in my cellar, because the best ones won't be ready anytime soon. I am determined to find a surrogate niece to will them to. My real niece isn't interested, and seems to like New World wines better, anyway. In in my travels, when I meet pretty young women who seem to like wine, I challenge them to develop and demonstrate a taste in Bordeaux, so that I can leave my modest collection to them. They think I am kidding, or they don't care, or whatever, because they never accept the challenge. I'll find one eventually.

Covert

Amy is a perfect candidate. She's young, she's sweet, and she loves Bordeaux. I, functioning as the evil wine-buying monopoly, haven't purchased a bottle of red Bordeaux in years. I'll try and trade one every so often for her, but other than that she relies on jeebuses to get her fix.

How can you say no?

Mr. Perry

So why is it that you keep fine Bordeaux wine from this sweet young thing? Are you looking for trouble, have a mean personality, have a defective Bordeaux gene, or just like to take a stand. Life is too short to swim upstream with your significant other when it comes to the wines they like. I have a stash of Old Bordeaux, Chablis and vintage Champagne just to keep myself out of trouble.
Walt
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:14 pm

wrcstl wrote: Are you looking for trouble, have a mean personality, have a defective Bordeaux gene, or just like to take a stand. Life is too short to swim upstream with your significant other when it comes to the wines they like. I have a stash of Old Bordeaux, Chablis and vintage Champagne just to keep myself out of trouble.
Walt

A little of everything, Walt.

I do look for trouble on a daily basis.

I am mean.

I do have a defective Bordeaux gene - aside from some white Bordeaux and Sauternes/Barsac, I only like top Bordeaux, and only then when it is over the hill.

I take stands as much as possible.

She likes Rioja, Barolo and most Burgundy/Rhone, so she's not deprived by any means. Moreover, she gets my pours of 1982 La Mission Haut Brion at Jeebuses so... :shock:

However, should Covert Will them to her, he'd know that they were well taken care of and untouched by male hands (unless they were well past, then I'd drink them).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:21 pm

JoePerry wrote: Amy is a perfect candidate. She's young, she's sweet, and she loves Bordeaux. I, functioning as the evil wine-buying monopoly, haven't purchased a bottle of red Bordeaux in years. I'll try and trade one every so often for her, but other than that she relies on jeebuses to get her fix.

Joe, what do you mean by "functioning...years"? Why haven't you bought a bottle? Is Amy your girlfriend? She looks very nice and definitely likes wine, or she wouldn't hold the glass the way that she does. Certainly a possibility. (She looks very much like a good friend and associate that I worked with a couple of years ago. While she loved some wines - mostly Australian - she ordered her fillets butterflied and wouldn't touch lamb, so I had to disqualify her.)

It's funny, I thought I had found the right girl not long ago - in Boston. She is 30, beautiful and sophisticated - used to work in Television. I gave her a (modest) bottle of '99 du Tertre, which she kept for a while and then drank with friends. She called to tell me it was absolutely wonderful and all her friends were impressed that she could procure such a fine bottle. I said to keep me posted if she progressed to drinking another bottle of Bordeaux and I would consider adopting her for the purpose of leaving her the collection. Never heard another word.

But I can indeed narrow my search to Boston, since I have just been assigned the city as my territory for a new job I accepted this Monday. I was vying for New York, but I'll take Boston. Back to No. 9 Park!

Covert
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:26 pm

OK, everyone, Covert was making a covert offer to me. I am in the process of developing my wine palatte and I can develop it for Bordeaux
as easily for anything else! :lol:
Actually, Covert, I hope you live long enough to enjoy all of your Bordeaux yourself. I'm not sure if my hubby is in the market for a surrogate uncle. :wink:
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Covert wrote:It's funny, I thought I had found the right girl not long ago - in Boston. She is 30, beautiful and sophisticated - used to work in Television.
Covert

Covert,
Reminds me of a joke who's punch line is "don't know what I would do if I caught her". I am concerned about Joe, a defective Bordeaux gene is a very rare disease, hope it is not fatal.
Walt
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:34 pm

RonicaJM wrote: Actually, Covert, I hope you live long enough to enjoy all of your Bordeaux yourself. I'm not sure if my hubby is in the market for a surrogate uncle. :wink:

Thanks very much for the thought, Ronica; but like I said, I keep replenishing the lot so it remains the same size - and it gets better all the time because I tend to leave the best bottles alone. I agree, though, a hubby could make the transference difficult. But a hubby can be trained to provide the Bordeaux so you don't need a new uncle. :)
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:38 pm

wrcstl wrote: I am concerned about Joe, a defective Bordeaux gene is a very rare disease, hope it is not fatal. Walt

That bothered me, too, Walt. He's probably just a carrier. It would be a nasty thing to pass on, though.

Covert
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:45 pm

Covert wrote:
Joe, what do you mean by "functioning...years"? Why haven't you bought a bottle? Is Amy your girlfriend? She looks very nice and definitely likes wine, or she wouldn't hold the glass the way that she does. Certainly a possibility. (She looks very much like a good friend and associate that I worked with a couple of years ago. While she loved some wines - mostly Australian - she ordered her fillets butterflied and wouldn't touch lamb, so I had to disqualify her.)

Well, she is my fiancee, but I buy the wines*. The last bottle of red Bordeaux that I purchased was... 1982 Ducru three years ago. I don't find the QPR that great, and I enjoy other wines more. It's not that I dislike the better bottles of red Bordeaux, I just usually find something more interesting to drink. Thanks to a windfall, I got two bottles of very nice Bordeaux not that long ago. Amy will be very happy to drink the 89 Haut Brion when it's ready.

Amy doesn't care for most Aussie stuff and eats lamb.

I am opening a great 2000 Bordeaux tonight, it just happens to be the 2000 Ch. de Fieuzal Blanc :wink:

Perfect!

Best,
Joe

*this may change as she might be getting a job that pays more than mine in a few weeks. :shock:
[/i]
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Covert,
First, congratulations on the new job.
Second, Amy does sound like the perfect candidate--and she's located in Boston. If she can put up with Joe's shenanigans (like the wasabi slipped into her glass of wine) she's a jewel.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Covert, great about the job in Boston. Brings you closer to Bill who knows all the right (nightlife) spots!!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:09 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Covert,
First, congratulations on the new job.
Second, Amy does sound like the perfect candidate--and she's located in Boston. If she can put up with Joe's shenanigans (like the wasabi slipped into her glass of wine) she's a jewel.

JC, look at the photo! Of course she's perfect. We want to know how much Joe's parents are paying her! :P

Covert, Perhaps you should just leave it to the WLDG to drink at the appropriate time in the approppriate place. Maybe you can endow a yearly jeebus in your honor? Heck, that way people not even born yet would be able to drink great Bordeaux. They could read the "Best of Covert" posts. Amy can come every year and leave Joe at home. All the old guys like me and Isaac will then hit on her and she will laugh. Walt and Howie will be wheeled in on their chairs with their oxygyn tanks. There will be a big painting of Robin over the mantle. Ronica will tell us all about her latest "surgery" and we will wonder why she doesn't look a day over 50. Lou will still be mean and ornery in Napa. No one from New york will deign to come as no Loire Valley wines were being drunk. I'm telling you Covert, you will be immortalized.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:55 pm

James Roscoe wrote:JC, look at the photo! Of course she's perfect. We want to know how much Joe's parents are paying her! :P

Covert, Perhaps you should just leave it to the WLDG to drink at the appropriate time in the approppriate place. Maybe you can endow a yearly jeebus in your honor? Heck, that way people not even born yet would be able to drink great Bordeaux. They could read the "Best of Covert" posts. Amy can come every year and leave Joe at home. All the old guys like me and Isaac will then hit on her and she will laugh. Walt and Howie will be wheeled in on their chairs with their oxygyn tanks. There will be a big painting of Robin over the mantle. Ronica will tell us all about her latest "surgery" and we will wonder why she doesn't look a day over 50. Lou will still be mean and ornery in Napa. No one from New york will deign to come as no Loire Valley wines were being drunk. I'm telling you Covert, you will be immortalized.
Hey! I'm not that old!

And where's this picture?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Isaac:
Check out the url in Joe's reply above. You will find a picture of a very attractive young woman in a bathing suit sitting in a hot tub sipping a glass of wine. That is Amy. (I tried to paste the image here, but it was beyond the scope of my limited brain.)

You said your wife was 48. I assumed you were around the same age. My mistake if I was incorrect (I am 47.) Good on your wife though! :P [/img]
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:00 am

James Roscoe wrote: We want to know how much Joe's parents are paying her! :P

You should see the look on her face when I informed her that I'm having custom wedding cake figurines made from Kenner Star Wars Figures (Luke in Jedi and Leia in Ceremonial Gown).

Isaac, for the full link, check here:
http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/f ... winelovers
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:55 am

Glad you posted the link, Joe, as I had missed your travelogue of your California trip when it first appeared.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am

There's another part as well!

Being a woman, I'm sure you'll appreciate the steamy lead photo of Jim Dougherty, rather than Amy.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:05 am

Okay. I'm game. Give us the link!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:30 pm

no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:43 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Isaac:
Check out the url in Joe's reply above. You will find a picture of a very attractive young woman in a bathing suit sitting in a hot tub sipping a glass of wine. That is Amy. (I tried to paste the image here, but it was beyond the scope of my limited brain.)

You said your wife was 48. I assumed you were around the same age. My mistake if I was incorrect (I am 47.) Good on your wife though! :P [/img]
Ah, yes. Lovely.

Yes, my wife is 48. I'm 50. And 50 isn't all that old!
PreviousNext