The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Paul Bara, Crabtree, Tahbilk, Yalumba and Cooper

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

WTNs: Paul Bara, Crabtree, Tahbilk, Yalumba and Cooper

by Cam Wheeler » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:19 am

Paul Bara Brut Reserve Grand Cru NV - (Champagne):
Medium bead with a very light mousse. Smoke, rose petal, lime and a light overlay of roasted nuts form the nose. The palate has a nice intensity of flavour as well as racy, well focussed acid and a slight citrus tang. Champagne of this quality is a steal for the price (around $55AUD).
90/100

Crabtree Watervale Riesling 1997 - (Clare Valley):
A light golden yellow in colour. The nose is shy and reclusive, after a good deal of coaxing it revealed a little bit of honeysuckle and apricot. The palate lacks depth and anything much of interest, falling away very quickly after the mid-palate. Uninspiring and going nowhere rather quickly.
82/100

Tahbilk Marsanne 2004 - (Nagambie Lakes):
This has a floral nose with notes of honey, nuts, pears and peaches. The palate has a slight viscosity about it that provides an interesting counterbalance to the acid. Medium length and while it was reasonably good, it is clearly in a bit of an "in between" phase - no longer youthful but not yet complex. Leave remaining bottles alone for a few years.
88/100

Yalumba "The Signature - Harold Obst" Galway Vintage Reserve Claret 1966 - (Barossa Valley):
80% Shiraz and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon
A deep red in colour with just slight browning out around the edges. The nose has strong overtones of fennel (aniseed/liquorice) with peppermint, earth, leather and violets following through. The palate was balanced, with just enough sweet fruit and tannin remaining to carry the medium length of the wine. Enjoyable for about 25 minutes and then faded away quickly.
90/100

Cooper Shiraz 2002 - (Hunter Valley):
An old style Hunter Shiraz nose of earth, tobacco, spice and some barnyard - with around half an hour in the Aglass, the tobacco seemed to turn into a dominant smoky aroma that smothered the rest of the nose. The palate showed good flavour and character, although I would suggest that it is drinking at its peak now.
87/100
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTNs: Paul Bara, Crabtree, Tahbilk, Yalumba and Cooper

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:24 am

Your comments on the Crabtree reflect my recent note on the `97 Bin 7 Leasingham. Lots of Tahbilk fans out here but where are the recent vintages?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:08 am

I don't think Tahbilk is destributed in the U.S. anymore, but it is in Canada. One of my reliable sources in the U.S. is sold out and had no more recent vintages than '02.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:18 am

Cam Wheeler wrote:[b]Tahbilk Marsanne 2004 - (Nagambie Lakes):
This has a floral nose with notes of honey, nuts, pears and peaches. The palate has a slight viscosity about it that provides an interesting counterbalance to the acid. Medium length and while it was reasonably good, it is clearly in a bit of an "in between" phase - no longer youthful but not yet complex. Leave remaining bottles alone for a few years.
88/100

Hi Cam. I read with great interest your report on the Tahbilk 2004 marsanne. This is one of my most favored white wines in all the world. I just hope the '04 gets to North America. I am supposed to have the 01,03,04, & 05's shipped from OZ to Broadbent (importer) and then through the system down to me. If you can, I would recommend that you pick up at least 6 of them and open one per year, but then at about the 6th year you will be wishing you had bought 12! The 1995 is IMO just hitting it's stride, and the 2002 is way to young for drinking yet. I opened a bottle of it a couple days ago, and while it isn't closed, it it is not showing nearly what it will in 5-7 more years. Again just IMO.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:22 am

Cam Wheeler wrote:Paul Bara..
Is this served at funerals? (sorry, I couldn't resist) :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Good groaner, Howie. Made me laugh so hard I started coffin.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:I don't think Tahbilk is destributed in the U.S. anymore....snip

I hope you are not correct Carl. As I told Cam this wine is one I favor a lot. If it works for me I will be taking a 10 year vertical of the marsanne to Mo'Cool next year. But, for it to work I will have to get several vintages shipped. This has been promised to me by both the winery and the importer. The distributor will handle any order for their normal markup which I am willing to pay.
http://www.broadbent-wines.com/index.cf ... _int=12040[/url]
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:06 am

I love the Tahbilk Marsanne too - what a great QPR wine! One of the few under $20 (CAD) whites that will age for 10 years. I have about 4 vintages resting in the cellar now. Haven't tried the 2004 yet.

I made a special trip to Tahbilk while in Melbourne just so I could check out the winery. It's a great cellar door - very historic - and they pour lots of marsanne vintages! You can purchase lots of back vintages for great prices at the cellar too.

They are making an 'old vines; version now too, but I've never seen it in North America.

The Signature is a great, under-appreciated wine too. I had a 1996 a while back that was very tasty. I wish they made more Cab/Shiraz blends in OZ. Done well - like the Signature - it really combines the best of both varietals.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:13 am

John, is the Marsanne in BC? If so,know the agency?
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:54 am

Bob, I'm unsure of the agent, but I think it's Liberty wines. But don't buy it there, they charge $3-4 extra. It's widely available in the provincial stores. Marquis carries it too, I think.

It's $17.99 here, and the 2004 is the newest vintage (some stores might have older stock). It's SKU #559716 if you're interested in ordering.

Isn't it available in AB?