Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

food for a wine tasting...ideas?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anne C-B

Rank

Just got here

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:01 pm

food for a wine tasting...ideas?

by Anne C-B » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 pm

I run a wine tasting club called SWILL in Western NY and it's my friend's turn to host in a few weeks. Forty-five tasters are coming, and I've chosen three Cabernet Sauvignons and two Gruner Veltlingers. Here's the catch....she usually finds herself slaving in the kitchen during parties, but this time she'd like to serve foods that she can make ahead so she can enjoy the tasting too. Any suggestions? Thanks! (my first posting..)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: food for a wine tasting...ideas?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi Anne and welcome to the kitchen. Regardless of the wines, we always put out baguettes and bland cheese. Others may differ.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Anne, and welcome to the forum. Carl is on the right track with his cheese and bread thinking. I am assuming (one should never ass/u/me) that you are tasting the wine first then some munchies after with the left over wine. I would simply do some easy to do snacks and I might even get a lot of them at the deli. It should not be work intensive for one person, and if it is, the work should be spread around between the hostess and maybe 3-4 of the regulars bringing something.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:59 am

Welcome to the WDLG neighbor! Other ideas could be small meat balls in sauce, wings from your favorite place (Hey- Western NY - don't get hot, get mild, BBQ or cajun), hummis with pita bread, smoked salmon, etc.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Anne--more information needed. Are the foods you provide intended to be a complete meal or just snacks during wine service?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov