Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RC: Grilled Salmon with New World Pesto for Bob Henrick

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

RC: Grilled Salmon with New World Pesto for Bob Henrick

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:13 pm

Bob, this is an awesome pesto for salmon and whatever you want to use it for.
When you decide to strip your plants, do it before they flower. Pile some leaves on top of each other, roll cigar fashion, and with your chef knife, slice thin strips starting from the narrow end. Then chops the strips.
Use this on fresh toms, salads, etc. With the pesto recipe, the food processor does all the work for you. Give this a try......I get raves when I serve it.

Grilled Salmon with New World Pesto

New World pesto:

8 cloves garlic

2 shallots

1 cup fresh basil leaves

3/4 cup fresh mint leaves

1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs

Packed cup roasted cashews

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon Asian chile sauce

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor with the motor running, drop garlic down the tube followed by the shallots. Add mint, basil and cilantro and mince finely. Add nuts and mince finely. With motor running, add the oil in a slow steady stream. Add the salt and chile sauce, and process for 10 seconds. Add cheese. Set pesto aside.

Marinade for the salmon:

6 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 cup light olive oil

1/4 cup white wine

Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Whisk together all ingredients. Pour over 2 lbs. fresh salmon filet. Marinate 15 minutes.

Grilling the salmon: Lay salmon, skin side down on a pre-heated grill. Cover and cook about 12 minutes, or until it begins to flake with poked with a fork. Carefully lay a spatula under the salmon and lift off grill, leaving the skin on the grill. Put fish on a platter.

Putting it together:

1 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup white wine

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Bring cream and wine to a rapid boil. Add 1 cup New World Pesto sauce. Spoon over fish. Serve immediately, accompanied by the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: RC: Grilled Salmon with New World Pesto for Bob Henrick

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks Karen, this sounds so good. About the grilling of the salmon though. Did you do that inside or out? and if out over what? I am thinking that this could be done in my new grill using some apple wood to put just a hint of smoke in the salmon.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:50 pm

We always grill our salmon because hubby has mastered the technique of cooking it to perfection, and the skin stays on the grill. I should say we always grill most of the time. There are a few poached salmon recipes to die for.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm

opps, forgot to tell you we have a big stainless steel gas grill. I love it because it is fast, easy, I can blacken peppers outside, etc. It is especially nice when we are having company and I cleaned my kitchen stove and it looks too pretty to mess up! :lol:
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:49 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
1/4 cup white wine

Sound delicious Karen, but what type of wine do you use in the marinade and the sauce?
Also, have you tried different white varietals to see what dimensions it brings to the dish?

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:47 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:
1/4 cup white wine

Sound delicious Karen, but what type of wine do you use in the marinade and the sauce?
Also, have you tried different white varietals to see what dimensions it brings to the dish?

Cheers,
Sue

I'm not much of a white wine person, but long ago my mom taught me to always have a bottle of extra dry vermouth on hand for recipes calling for white wine. It is what I always use, unless I happen to have a white opened, I will use that. For this recipe I have only used the vermouth. It is truly an awesome sauce. The pesto also keeps for weeks in the refer, always ready to add to the final step of this pesto.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:43 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:
1/4 cup white wine

Cheers,
Sue

I'm not much of a white wine person, but long ago my mom taught me to always have a bottle of extra dry vermouth on hand for recipes calling for white wine. It is what I always use, unless I happen to have a white opened, I will use that. For this recipe I have only used the vermouth. It is truly an awesome sauce. The pesto also keeps for weeks in the refer, always ready to add to the final step of this pesto.

Thanks Karen,
I'm sure the Vermouth brings in a different character to, say, a chardonnay.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:06 am

Karen that looks fantastic. Thanks for posting it. The pesto in particular looks awesome. I never would have thought to add asian chile sauce and mint but I can't wait to try it now
Howard
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:08 am

It is a dandy recipe. The green sauce on the salmon really pops. I like to serve it with a side of roasted purple, red, white spuds, red and yellow bell peppers, with onion and garlic, drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper. Finish with a splash of balsamic. A salad of all color toms, especially the bright yellows, really make your guests mouths drop upon serving. So fun!