WTN: Charmoise Touraine and 96 Darting

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Charmoise Touraine and 96 Darting

Postby Charles Weiss » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks Bill for pointing the way here.
A couple of brief TNs from recent meals at home:

2004 Domaine de la Charmoise Touraine - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (3/14/2006)
Very fruity, VERY gamay. Reminds me of a better Duboeuf Beaujolais but without the banana. For quaffing or with bistro-type food.

1996 Kurt Darting Dürkheimer Spielberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz (3/10/2006)
Mature color, and indeed fully mature with no primary fruit flavors, much of sweetness resolved. Enough acidity. A seamless whole, like a really good baked apple.
Charles Weiss
Charles Weiss
Ultra geek

Re: TN: Charmoise Touraine and 96 Darting

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:15 am

Hey Charles. Glad you made it here. That Darting sounds really yummy.
Are '96 spatlese in general as mature as this one now?
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 am

Charles, if you are a pal of Bill B., you are very welcome here. I am from Alberta and an admirer of Bill`s palate...LOL. You can call me Doris "Que Sirah, Syrah".
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:38 am

Thanks for the notes. I recall reading that the banana scents in some Bojos aren't caused by the Grape nor by Carbonic Maceration but by a yeast that Duboeuf was fond of using. Apparently it's the same yeast that some Belgian brewers use - and why their beers have a hint of banana!

That Pfalz producer and terroirs I've never even heard about. Must brush up on my knowledge of Germany...

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Charles, if you are a pal of Bill B., you are very welcome here. I am from Alberta and an admirer of Bill`s palate...LOL. You can call me Doris "Que Sirah, Syrah".

Bob! I've been meaning to ask you for ages, but what is this thing about Miss Day? I understand that you dress up in pink and high heels for WT 101 - but why? And what's this Que Sirah, Syrah -thing? Sorry, I should have asked before, but for some reason I never got around to it thinking that I would figure it out by reading between the lines, but no, I didn't manage.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Charles Weiss » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 am

Bill,
I think of Darting as a relatively early-maturing producer. This particular wine has been drinking well since at least 2002 and IMHO should be consumed soon.
Charles Weiss
Charles Weiss
Ultra geek

Postby Jenise » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:07 pm

Charles, nice to have you join us. I recognize your name from the MSN Bordeaux group and always wanted to ask you about it. Was Chasse Spleen an epiphinal wine for you?

The Charmoise--haven't had any of their reds, but we offed quite a few of the whites last summer when I went on a tear to pick up every 02 Loire SB I could find before the 03's showed up. The Charmoise was particularly elegant.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Charles Weiss » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks Jenise. Actually never partcipated in any MSN group. Just used cspleen because I used it for Robin's Netscape endeavor and didn't realize it would show rather than real name here. I do like their wines though, with favorites so far 1983 and 1989 though I've missed many vintages. "Hunt Spleen" also seems like a great, Monty-Pythonesque name.

Re the Domaine de la Charmoise Touraine, I'd expected something more minerally but enjoyed the ebullient fruit of the wine that came out of the bottle.

Charles
Charles Weiss
Charles Weiss
Ultra geek

Postby Jenise » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Charles, well then there are two Chasse Spleen's running around. Sorry for the mistaken identity.

Haven't had the good fortune of as many Spleens as you've had, but the 96 and 86 have been standouts of those I did have, and I purchased 00 and 01s for the cellar.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Forgot the 1986!

Postby Charles Weiss » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:57 am

Jenise,
Agree about the '86, which I forgot even though it's the last I tasted. Bought some 2000 but haven't tasted it.
Charles

1986 Chateau Chasse-Spleen
11/3/2005: Very young appearance for 19 y/o. Lots of cassis, a little bell pepper, finish a little short. After an hour decant, showing more complexity in nose and palate filling out, no longer short, still mostly about cabernet sauvignon fruit. Drinking very well now, drunk or hold with impunity. Different, but not outclassed alongside 1981 Haut Brion and 1992 Beringer Reserve Cab Sauv.
Charles Weiss
Charles Weiss
Ultra geek

Postby Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm

cspleen wrote:Reminds me of a better Duboeuf Beaujolais but without the banana.

Is Duboeuf still using that banana-imparting yeast in their Beaujolais? I could never figure out their rationale for using it. If it happens to be the same strain as Lalvin's 71B which is supplied to home winemakers, then I have some experience with it and would personally not use it again.
Paul B.
Hybrid Guru

Return to WTN Archives