The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

3 Upcoming Wine Related Events

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am

Long Island

3 Upcoming Wine Related Events

by BenM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:41 pm

ANNOUNCING 3 UPCOMING EVENTS AT MAXWELL AND DUNNE’S
on Long Island

PUNCH AMBASSADOR NIGHT
Come down and meet the PUNCH Girls along with the introduction of the new PUNCH Ambassador cigar. The event starts at 6pm; cigars, giveaways and a few surprises are in-store.

Date: September 14, 2006
Time: 6-9pm

CAO ITALIA NIGHT – Introducing the new TONY SOPRANO Cigar and Humidor
This was is a going to be lots of fun! On the heels of the very popular Sopranos Cigars comes the limited Tony Soprano cigar. For each CAO Tony Soprano you purchase you will be entered into a raffle for your chance to win the limited edition Sopranos Humidor. Two Sopranos Humidors will be raffled off along with a dozen Sopranos hats and other CAO cigars.

In addition, for every CAO Tony Soprano cigar that you purchase you will receive a FREE CAO cigar of your choice.

Date: October 5, 2006
Time: TBD

ROCKY PATEL WINE and CIGAR PARTY

Date: November 20, 2006
Time: approximately 6pm

It is going to be one of the biggest and best events at Maxwell and Dunne’s all year. Before becoming a cigar maven Rocky Patel was a world renowned, professionally trained chef. On this night Rocky will host a 5 course food, wine and cigar party in addition to showing his world class culinary skills in the kitchen. Rocky and Chef Chris will be cooking together for the first time in what is expected to be a one of kind event.

The menus in the past have been incredible including live lobsters, filet mignon and the like; this dinner will be just as incredible by pairing Rocky Patel cigars with each of the five courses being served. In addition we will be serving a pairing a premier wine with the dinner as well.

The line-up of cigars and wines has yet to be determined but if you know Rocky than you are guaranteed to be totally satisfied with the offerings. The cost for this one time event is $150 for all members and $200 for non-members.

For more information about these and upcoming events or to become a member and take advantage and be informed ahead of time about the other happenings at Maxwell and Dunne’s please visit our website at http://www.mdsteakhouse.com/ and register for our new Newsletter.

I will post more information and updates as it becomes available
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: 3 Upcoming Wine Related Events

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:35 pm

BenM wrote:ANNOUNCING 3 UPCOMING EVENTS AT MAXWELL AND DUNNE’S
on Long Island

Hi, Ben ...

As we've mentioned before, although I know you're proud of your venture, this kind of post isn't really what the forum is for, and our rules to bar "unsolicited advertising." It also doesn't make a lot of sense, since our readers are all over the world, only a small portion of them in your neighborhood.

You're welcome to come here and talk with us about wine as a consumer and even from an in-the-business standpoint, but I'm going to have to ask that you please don't post ads and news releases.
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:01 pm

With all due respect I think there should be an OFFLINE EVENTS DISCUSSION topic on these fourms. I participate in numerous online forums for cigars, food and wine and eveyone of them has such an area (Cigar Pass, Wine Spectaor, Cigar Aficianado).

Although I do understand that these boards attract people from all over the world topics such as these, that can bring people of like interests from regional areas together, is what wine/food/ciagrs do in real life. I can only assume that it would do the same in an online environment.

I would suggest you post a survey asking the foum members if they would like to see just such a topic area and let those who use the boards decide on if they would like to see something of this nature created.

I look forward to seeing this survery as well as the results
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Ben
What I'm finding a little concerning, is that in 5 posts, you've yet to join in the general wine chat. Your posts have only been on two topics, both of which were advertising your business (I recognise though that you may have added a lot to previous incarnations of this forum).

This forum does very well from the supportive nature of it's members, each happy to give time to assist and share with others. If you're using it just to post free adverts then it seems to me that you want to take and not give. If I could offer some advice, it would be to join in with the discussions and enjoy the love of wine, rather than just advertising your events. It becomes a question of goodwill and if the board feel you're pushing it, then it won't feel very keen to support your business.

There are very good reasons why Robin (like all forum moderators) doesn't allow unsolicited advertising. Most forums are supported by advertising revenue (typically off the front page). If advertisers can post freely, why should they pay for advertising. The net result is we risk losing the forum as the bills don't get paid. In addition, when does a genuine wine interest piece of advertising become unwanted spam? Such lines are difficult to draw. What about a bin-end sale or an en-primeur offer?

In time maybe there will be demand for a commercial events listing and I'm sure Robin would give it fair consideration should the need arise, though it is IMO his call and I for one would trust his judgement rather than feeling I had any right to vote on it. For me it's Robins House and I'm happy to live by his rules when I'm in it.

So please join in and leave your work behind you for a while (everyone needs a break from work after all)

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:14 pm

I was on this forum for a ong time under another. I had to cancel that email account due to excesssive spam adn just logged on with this new handle.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Ian, you said it so much better than I could have. Thnak you. Ben we are a welcoming bunch of wine lovers, so anytime you want to join us as such, I and many others will welcome you.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:18 pm

Oh yeah - I really don't see how an EVENTS page is going to cause the massive or any loss of revenue, especially when it so localized. All advertisiers on pages such as these are natioanl comapnies, etc. Your argument really does not relate to the announcement that I posted. These are totally unrelated.

The forums that I mentioned above all have one OFFLINE/EVENTS Topics area and they seem to be doing quite well in the online advertising department

As I said, I would love for Robin or whoever to post a Survey Question to the general forum and leave ut up for a few weeks and let the people decide on whether or not such a Topic Area should be created.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Ben, there already is a forum on this site. There is no need for the poll you suggest.
I suggest that this thread should be moved there..

Offlines only
This forum is for members' use in announcing and planning offlines and other wine-related events.
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Long Island

by BenM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:37 pm

I totally agree

I will post messages such as thse on that fourm from now on

Robin et all - all you had to do was tell me that sch a forum already existed and we could avoided all of this
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:52 pm

BenM wrote:I totally agree

I will post messages such as thse on that fourm from now on

Robin et all - all you had to do was tell me that sch a forum already existed and we could avoided all of this

So Ben, do you plan on joining in the regular discussion as well as posting upcoming events in the "Offlines" forum?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:58 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Most forums are supported by advertising revenue (typically off the front page). If advertisers can post freely, why should they pay for advertising. The net result is we risk losing the forum as the bills don't get paid.

Ian, I appreciate your thinking of this and being sensitive, but for the record I should probably reiterate that I run the current iteration of WLDG as a non-commercial gift to the online wine-loving community. It's an adjunct of WineLoversPage.com and frankly subsidized by it, but it's not the engine that drives the train. This is partly to avoid competing with the CompuServe/Netscape venture, which still continues on a reduced level, mostly for Netscape and CompuServe members with wine questions; but also just because it seems like the right thing to do. Long story short, though, I bar unsolicited advertising not for revenue reasons but just because there's a strong predisposition against it by our members and by just about everyone who hangs out on online forums.

In addition, when does a genuine wine interest piece of advertising become unwanted spam? Such lines are difficult to draw. What about a bin-end sale or an en-primeur offer?

This is a much more difficult question, and frankly, it sometimes comes down to an arbitrary judgement call. By me. :)
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Robin
... and I will always be happy with your judgement!

Thanks also for clarifying the position of the forum re: non-profit making.

regards

Ian