The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Santa Duc Heritage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2000 Santa Duc Heritage

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:00 am

2000 Santa Duc Heritage
Heritage is not a typo. This is not a No. Rhone, but rather a So. Rhone bottling from the Gigondas producer. I suspect the wine is mostly Grenache. Medium to full bodied, black cherry, licorice, a bit of smoke and a solid finish. Nicely balanced with refreshing acidity and not a trace of over-ripe fruit or alcohol (That is a good thing btw). A delight to drink with grill pork ribs, sweet corn and tomato freshly picked from vine.
A Bobby Kacher Selection
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2000 Santa Duc Heritage

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:46 am

This is pretty yummy stuff, isnt it? 100% grenache fermented in stainless.

Have you tried other wines from this producer? I havent but would like to.

(from Oct05)
Beautiful S. Rhone aromas of earth, herbs, and a bit of farm with bright cherry flavors. Well balanced acidity, decent tannins. A really pleasing wine which went well with machaca, rice and beans.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2000 Santa Duc Heritage

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:This is pretty yummy stuff, isnt it? 100% grenache fermented in stainless.

Have you tried other wines from this producer? I havent but would like to.

(from Oct05)
Beautiful S. Rhone aromas of earth, herbs, and a bit of farm with bright cherry flavors. Well balanced acidity, decent tannins. A really pleasing wine which went well with machaca, rice and beans.

Wm,
Yep, very nice juice indeed.
The only other Santa Duc I recall having was the 1998 vintage of the basic Gigondas. Here's a note I made in November 2003:
"Confession is said to be good for the soul, so I’ll admit I purchased a few bottles of this a few years ago based entirely upon the 95 points given by WS. What a major disappointment on this evening. Still a lot left so I’ll sample it again after my Corn Flakes this morning to see if it has changed overnight.
Sour cherry flavors with just the slightest hint of licorice/anise. I detected some VA but others said I was wrong. A non existent mid-palate is followed by a short finish distinguished only by some slight expression of spice/pepper. This wine exhibits none of the rusticity which I enjoy in my Gigondas. Basically, disjointed and unappealing to this barbarian. Someone asked if I thought this would improve with some additional age. I doubt it, but would love to be proved wrong. Price = Too Damn Much at Any Cost".

I believe I have two more bottles in the cellar so I'll pull another soon and probably take one for the team...who knows, maybe time has been kind to it.
Has anyone had better luck with the 1998 Gigonda from this producer?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!