The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Shheee-rrryyy, can you come out tonight?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Shheee-rrryyy, can you come out tonight?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:00 am

Lill and I joined a small gathering at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Offline to welcome YiXin during his weeklong visit to New England from Singapore, along with Julianne (YiXin's significant other), Amy, and Joe.

a couple to warm up with...
2000 Weinbach Schlossberg Riesling L’Inédit (Alsace) Surprisingly fat. Heavy apple, pear and botrytis, some residual sugar, and acidity that is buried by the weight. Mike said it best “Not enough sugar for dessert and too much sugar for anything else”

2000 André & Rémy Gresser Wiebelsberg Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace) Dry, crisp and good definition. Not overwhelming depth but clean and concise.

and some sherry and sherry-like...
1994 Domaine de la Pinte Château-Chalon (Jura) A vin jaune made from savagnin. Caramel, hazel nut, coffee, with no fruit to be found. Super dry, fairly acidic, and lots of depth in the finish. Very complex and technically interesting wine but I can’t say that I really like the style.

Sandeman Royal Corregidor Rich Old Oloroso (Jerez) Nutty, slightly off-dry, pretty big. I’m not that enamoured.

Valdespino Solera 1842 Oloroso (Jerez) Now this I like. Rich and caramelly, with some residual sugar, and a long drying finish. I think I need sugar in my sherry.

Emilio Lustau Almacenista Oloroso Añada 1918 de Pilar Aranda y Latorre (Jerez) Very full, very rich, powerful aromas and flavors. Roasted nuts, burnt toffee, and a long, super dry, somewhat bitter acidic finish. I can appreciate the complexity here but I really don’t think I could drink it very often.

And on to the baroli....
1990 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva Much more in the nose than the mouth. Great classic style, rich deep dried herb, anise nose but the palate is comparably thin. It’s certainly good but not overly complex.

1994 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia Very dense and fragrant with long chalky tannins. This wine took a while to really open up but when it did it showed very well. I really like the full mouthfeel of this wine. Lots of body.

1978 Ceretto (Azienda Bricco Rocche) Barolo Prapò Old and disjointed at first but after a good 4 hours it really started to round out and blossom. The nose is complex and powerful, the balance is quite good, and the tannins are not quite perfectly seemless but very well rounded.

and dessert....
1995 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese (Mosel) 016 96. Flat and dull. Something's wrong with this bottle.

1985 MönchHof Ürziger Würzgarten Beerenauslese (Mosel) Super wine. Lots of botrytis, very sweet, extremely powerful flavors and very good acidity leading to a long finish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Shheee-rrryyy, can you come out tonight?

by Jenise » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:14 am

Fun notes, thanks. Did Yixin bring the Jura? That sounds like his style of wine.

If you see him again during his visit tell him Jenise says hello.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:21 am

He most certainly did bring that, Jenise.
I think he's already on his way back home by now but I'll email him your greetings. :)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm

You put Joe Perry and YiXin in the same room?

Where did the grownups taste?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:12 am

Everyone got to sit at the grown-up table, Hoke. We've got an 18yr old, the OffLine's have a 2yr old, so we were battle tested for anything.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:40 pm

What food did you pair with the sherries and the Chateau-Chalon? Were you forewarned of the impending wine?
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Best dry sherry I have ever had was out of York Mountain Winery on the Central Coast.

Sadly, the new owners don't choose to vint it anymore. :cry:

Big Business- 1

Wine Drinkers- 0
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks for the notes, Bill.

Sherry enjoyment is a natural progression. At first, I only liked PX and sweeter Oloroso, but now the drier the better for me.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 am

Rahsaan wrote:What food did you pair with the sherries and the Chateau-Chalon? Were you forewarned of the impending wine?

The Chateau-Chalon was a contender for my WOTN. We had it with cheeses and some odd appetizers, but it was certainly not for the faint of heart...
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:56 am

Hoke wrote:You put Joe Perry and YiXin in the same room?

We don't need you adults telling us our business all the time!

"Turn down that rock & roll!"

"Stop jumping on the bed!"

"Don't drink Pinot Gris with Foie Gras!"
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:14 am

JoePerry wrote:
Hoke wrote:You put Joe Perry and YiXin in the same room?

We don't need you adults telling us our business all the time!

"Turn down that rock & roll!"

"Stop jumping on the bed!"

"Don't drink Pinot Gris with Foie Gras!"

"Don't put the whoopie cushion on Hoke's chair."

"Don't put vegetables on Hoke's head and take pictures when he falls asleep in his chair."

(I realize Hoke wasn't there, but it makes a great visual.)
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:49 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Lill and I joined a small gathering at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Offline to welcome YiXin during his weeklong visit to New England from Singapore, along with Julianne (YiXin's significant other), Amy, and Joe.

a couple to warm up with...
2000 Weinbach Schlossberg Riesling L’Inédit (Alsace) Surprisingly fat. Heavy apple, pear and botrytis, some residual sugar, and acidity that is buried by the weight. Mike said it best “Not enough sugar for dessert and too much sugar for anything else”

2000 André & Rémy Gresser Wiebelsberg Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace) Dry, crisp and good definition. Not overwhelming depth but clean and concise.

and some sherry and sherry-like...
1994 Domaine de la Pinte Château-Chalon (Jura) A vin jaune made from savagnin. Caramel, hazel nut, coffee, with no fruit to be found. Super dry, fairly acidic, and lots of depth in the finish. Very complex and technically interesting wine but I can’t say that I really like the style.

Sandeman Royal Corregidor Rich Old Oloroso (Jerez) Nutty, slightly off-dry, pretty big. I’m not that enamoured.

Valdespino Solera 1842 Oloroso (Jerez) Now this I like. Rich and caramelly, with some residual sugar, and a long drying finish. I think I need sugar in my sherry.

Emilio Lustau Almacenista Oloroso Añada 1918 de Pilar Aranda y Latorre (Jerez) Very full, very rich, powerful aromas and flavors. Roasted nuts, burnt toffee, and a long, super dry, somewhat bitter acidic finish. I can appreciate the complexity here but I really don’t think I could drink it very often.

And on to the baroli....
1990 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Riserva Much more in the nose than the mouth. Great classic style, rich deep dried herb, anise nose but the palate is comparably thin. It’s certainly good but not overly complex.

1994 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia Very dense and fragrant with long chalky tannins. This wine took a while to really open up but when it did it showed very well. I really like the full mouthfeel of this wine. Lots of body.

1978 Ceretto (Azienda Bricco Rocche) Barolo Prapò Old and disjointed at first but after a good 4 hours it really started to round out and blossom. The nose is complex and powerful, the balance is quite good, and the tannins are not quite perfectly seemless but very well rounded.

and dessert....
1995 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese (Mosel) 016 96. Flat and dull. Something's wrong with this bottle.

1985 MönchHof Ürziger Würzgarten Beerenauslese (Mosel) Super wine. Lots of botrytis, very sweet, extremely powerful flavors and very good acidity leading to a long finish.

Hello Bill, I've yet to discover the Sherry arena, except I think I tried a Fino once and didn't care too much for it except the bouquet was great. Any 1st-timer recommendations for me?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:17 am

Any 1st-timer recommendations for me?
Aaron, I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask as I havent really wrapped my head around these dry oloroso (or fino) sherry yet. As Joe mentioned, he started with sweeter varieties and moved to drier. I do like straight Pedro Ximenez (PX) which is very sweet and some cream sherries (which can be pretty sweet). The Valdespino was a good hybrid type with a sweeter front end a very dry finish.
Maybe more seasoned sherry drinkers can chime in here.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:22 am

Were you forewarned of the impending wine?
Yup. I had warning that this would be a night of 1000 sherry. Joe knows of YiXin's enjoyment of it, and YiXin had to take bottles that would travel well. Overall, I'm glad I got to try these wines with people that truly enjoy them. Hey, my likes have shifted from Barossa shiraz to ruche so who knows, some day I might be stocking up on dry sherry too. :p
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Well, unfortunately there aren't a lot of options at most shops.

The Lustau line is very solid and so is the Alvear.

I like the Sandeman Royal Corregidor as a less expensive Oloroso ($20) with a touch of sweetness.

Bill's suggestion of PX is good, as it is certainly an easier-to-like example. After you've had a few of those, start on the Oloroso and then Palo Cortado and Amontillado... only when you can snatch the pebble from my hand should you try Fino.

Best,
Joe