Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone have any experience with these warmer/coolers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Anyone have any experience with these warmer/coolers?

by JoePerry » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Specifically the Royal Deluxe Travel Cooler (Wine Enthusiast) or Thermokool MR318 (Amazon)?

I'd be using it to keep food warm on my trip to jeebuses (most of my friends are at least an hour away), as well as keeping wine cool on hot summer days.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Joe
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone have any experience with these warmer/coolers?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:47 am

JoePerry wrote:Any advice would be great!

No experience with those items, Joe, but it sounds like the same principle as a Thermos bottle, don't you think? As in the old joke, "It keeps hot things hot, and it keeps cold things cold. How does it <i>know</i>?"
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:44 am

Well, it isn't passive like a thermos. I've used thermos-like devices to try to keep my food warm, but it never keeps enough heat for my long trips to offlines. I've been limited to cold appetizers for most events. Devices like this have a digital setting so that I could keep the food hot - or at least that's my hope. If I could set it to 150-250 degrees, it would open up a lot of options for me....

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:07 pm

JoePerry wrote:Well, it isn't passive like a thermos. I've used thermos-like devices to try to keep my food warm, but it never keeps enough heat for my long trips to offlines. I've been limited to cold appetizers for most events. Devices like this have a digital setting so that I could keep the food hot - or at least that's my hope. If I could set it to 150-250 degrees, it would open up a lot of options for me....

It's an interesting concept, Joe. As I said, I'm just bloviating since I haven't seen or heard of these things, but I'm thinking that it would pretty much have to run off your car's cigarette lighter or something. Converting electricity into heat or cold takes a lot of power, and I don't see using a couple of AAs or a 9-volt battery to do this job for long.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:bloviating

Now there is a word one doesn't read everyday on a wine forum!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:but I'm thinking that it would pretty much have to run off your car's cigarette lighter or something. Converting electricity into heat or cold takes a lot of power, and I don't see using a couple of AAs or a 9-volt battery to do this job for long.

"Comes with both AC and DC adapters"