The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Several notes on several wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Several notes on several wines

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:01 am

I have been rather lazy lately about posting TNs. Will rectify that now.

Hope Chardonnay 2003 Hunter Valley: Medium-yellow-gold color. Spice, sweet vanilla and charred wood on the nose. Quite sweet and rather flat, moderate acidity, overripe peaches, pear and lemon. This bottle was sweeter and more simple than I recall previous bottles being.

La Vielle Ferme 2004 Cotes du Ventoux: From the Perrin brothers. A blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre and Cinsault. Good cherry color in the glass. Tangy acidity, sweet cherry fruit, some spices, but not much else. Pleasant but, as with the wine above, previous bottles have been much more enjoyable and have offered more complexity.

Les Grés XL Viognier 2004 Vin de Pays D'oc: From Les Vignerons de Puisserguier. Medium-yellow color. Peachy nose. Medium-weight, oily, peaches, very intense citric bitterness, floral, spicy, intense grapefruit rind bitterness on the end. After a while the intensity of the fruit became a bit wearing. Again, this bottle wasn't as good as previous ones were.

Miguel Torres "Santa Digna" Sauvignon Blanc 2004: From Chile's Central Valley. Lime, flowers, spice, pine resin and sea salt on the nose. Zingy and crisp in the mouth, lemon-lime, some veggy notes, peppery, grapefruit, very clean with a mouthwatering finish. Quite rich and flavourful.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: Several notes on several wines

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:oily, peaches, very intense citric bitterness, floral, spicy, intense grapefruit rind bitterness

Bruce, this sounds awesome - just my style.

Is it in the LCBO or Vintages? I may check tomorrow.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:51 pm

Vintages Paul.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:14 pm

Good to see you are in form there Bruce!! There have been some good Torres wines showing up lately. New winemakers? Perhaps.

Friend of mine was in Toronto, no sign of the `04 Baco Noir reserve, Pelham.
Seen any Bruce?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:00 pm

[/quote]Friend of mine was in Toronto, no sign of the `04 Baco Noir reserve, Pelham. Seen any Bruce?
[/quote]

The '04 BN Reserve was released just on March 18. There still seems to be quite a bit floating around a number of stores in the province. It is going for $24.95.