WTN: Two Champagnes from José Michel

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two Champagnes from José Michel

Postby Otto » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:15 pm

José Michel Brut Rosé NV 22,80€ from a half

50/50 Meunier and Pinot Noir. Quite a deep pink. Wonderfully earthy scent - like in all other Meuniers and strongly Meuniered Champagnes I have tried. Quite vegetal, too, and red in fruit so it smells like an earthy red Burgundy. Elegant mousse. Richish but crisp. Fun. And serious, too.

José Michel Special Club 2002 54,90€ from 0,75

50/50 Meunier and Chardonnay. A mineral scent of red apples. There is fantastic precision despite some richness and earthiness from, presumably, the Meunier. Elegant, small mousse. Wonderful cut from the Chardonnay. More elegant than I remember previous years of this to have been - they were rich wines and impressive but not entirely to my taste. This '02 however seems just right to me now.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
Otto
Musaroholic

Re: WTN: Two Champagnes from José Michel

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:19 pm

I don't know this producer. Thanks for your insights.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: Two Champagnes from José Michel

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks for the notes, Otto! I have never had a rosé with a large meunier content and will definitely search for this. I think this is the second year that José Michel has made Hugh Johnson’s “Champagne growers to watch” list.

I haven’t had the ’02 Spécial Club des Viticulteurs” yet, but I’m still hoarding a few bottles of the ’98. It’s very rich, as you reported for the ’02, and has a tangerine note.

The “Spécial Club” designation, which shows up in the glass and not the label, is not just a meaningless buzzword as I had assumed—a little webcrawling turned up the following site with enough details to make me consider any future wines with this designation <www.peterliem.com/2008/02/spcial-club.html>.
MichaelB
Ultra geek

Return to WTN Archives