BTN: Ales for celebration

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

BTN: Ales for celebration

Postby Keith M » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:34 am

Ommegang Adoration. Cooperstown, New York. (belgian strong dark ale) - 750 ml bottle with mushroom cork, 10% - appears dark crimson brown, smell beautiful rich and sweet, not overpowering as this style can be, sandalwood with light indian spice, beautiful, mouthfeel firm with delicate carbonation, medium structure, taste dried orange peel, peachy spiced fantastic concentration, flavor and focus without being overpowering, not quite refreshing, but surprising close, outstanding beer. Special winter ale brew with spices, cardamom, mace, grains of paradise and sweet orange peel. Bottled on 28 August 2009

Les Brasseurs de Gayant La Goudale. Douai Cedex, northern France. (biére de garde) 75 cl bottle with mushroom cork, 7.8% - imported to USA by United States Beverage, Stamford, Connecticut – appears orange with white head, smell beautifully lively, honeyed citrus, not sweet but vibrant nose, fantastic, mouthfeel sparky carbonation, slightly viscous, taste delicious and well-integrated, great refreshing acidity, faded peaches, light citrus essence, well-defined and complex, really rather fantastic, superb integration, light leather at times, flighty and airy at other times, did I mention I liked it?
Keith M
Beer Explorer

Re: BTN: Ales for celebration

Postby Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Nice report. We've been enjoying Shipyard Prelude. This seasonal is named after the excellent Christmas festival celebrated in Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, ME. Nice dark color with poured. Off white foam head that is small and sparse. Nice roasted nut aroma. The flavor is that of nuts and dark chocolate. A very nice Christmas beer.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Alan A. » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 pm

I've had La Goudale before and it's a nice biére de garde. We can't get Ommegang Adoration here in Alabama thanks to a law that limits beer container size (16 oz, and Adoration is only available in 750 ml) however I do enjoy other Ommegang products. I plan on posting some reviews, possibly Scaldis Noel, Sweetwater Festive Ale, Corsendonk Christmas Ale, Bell's Christmas Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, and Abita Christmas Ale all of which I've already tried this year plus Delirium Tremens Noel, and Gouden Carolus Noel (if I can find it.)
Last edited by Alan A. on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan A.
Wine geek

Postby Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Another festive ale around here is Tuckerman's 6288 Ale. It is named after the height of Mt Washington in feet. It is rich, dark, and hoppy with nuts and chocolate like the Prelude, but it is a much richer brew.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Return to Wine Focus