Larry Greenly wrote:I have lots of pumpernickel recipes. Here's a simple one. If you want a more complex one, let me know.
4 c rye flour
2 c whole-wheat flour
2/3 bulgur wheat
2 tsp salt
2 Tbs molasses
3-1/2 c warm water
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1. Grease two 7x3-1/2" loaf pans. Combine rye, whole-wheat, bulgur and salt.
2. Mix molasses w/warm water. Add to flours with oil. Combine to form dense mass.
3. Place in pans, pressing into corners. Cover w/oiled plastic wrap. Let sit in warm place for 18-24 hrs.
4. Preheat oven to 225F. Cover pans lightly w/foil. Fill a roasting pan w/boiling water and place a rack on top.
5. Place the pans on top of the rack and transfer very carefully to the oven. Bake the loaves for 4 hours. Increase the oven temp to 325F. Top up the water in the roasting pan if necessary, uncover the loaves and bke for another 30-45 min or until loaves feel firm and tops are crusty.
6. Let cool in pans for 5 min. Turn out on wire rack to cool. Serve thinly sliced.
Improves with time. Keep for at least 24 hrs double-wrapped inside a plastic bag before slicing.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests