Relatively Rose`

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Relatively Rose`

Postby AaronW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Does any one know of any new world rose` that isn't called "blush" :oops: , "White Zinfandel" :oops: , or "White Merlot" :oops: that exhibits good complexity without the cloying sweetness as the wines named above? Are there any? Am I just not looking hard enough? Not trying enough wines? We can make award winning Reds & Whites, but nothing in between?? WHAT THE HAY??!! :x What makes it so freaking hard to make a great wine that has just a little grapeskin exposure when we can do it with total exposure and no exposure? Is it an intrinsic difficulty in rose` production? Maybe it's just not worth screwing with when there are so many other wine ventures to pursue with "just reds" and "just whites". Anyway, enough with the emotion. Help please!!
Last edited by AaronW on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AaronW
Ultra geek

Re: Relatively Rose`

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:04 pm

I posted recently on a pink tasting! The `05 Fire Block Dry Rose (grenache) from land of Oz, a sure fire winner.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby James Roscoe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:32 pm

Just search "rose" on the search function. You will turn up notes for many N.A. roses. Having said that, I do prefer the Old World particularly the French.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:42 pm

For new world rose you could try Tablas Creek, Calera Vin Gris or Celeidh by Matt Garretson. Although I'd hardly call the latter a Rose. They're all kind of spendy though. I typically stick to the old world for my pink -Better wines, better prices.

Prost!
Bill
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Postby arnie del rosario » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:41 am

Two roses from Oz come to mind - Torbrecks Saignee and Charles Melton's Rose of Virginia.

Both would certainly compete against the best roses from anywhere, though they are a bit pricey.
arnie del rosario
Wine geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum Arnie. Look forward to hearing more from you, any Oz wines out there we should know about (whisper)?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to The Wine Forum