The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pleiades XIII

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Pleiades XIII

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:04 am

Sean Thackrey Pleiades XIII Old Vines (CA)
$25, 14%abv. Bottled June 2004.
Very southern Rhonish aromas of dried rosemary and lavender mixed with dark fruit. What’s most surprising is the seamlessness and balance of this wine. For such a mish-mash of grapes, it’s just wonderfully elegant (although some may find it leaning towards "international"). Rich sweet ripe (not at all jammy) flavor, medium body, and a very silky texture. Slight hints of mocha mix with the fruit on the finish. There is enough structure here that it should age well over the next handful of years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Pleiades XIII

by Jenise » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:53 pm

International? Hmmm...not how I'd describe it, but then my benchmark for this wine is some of the racier vintages and I can see how a newcomer would pick that up off the XIII. Do you have more? These will reward your patience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Pleiades XIII

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:26 pm

That's "leaning towards" international, not straightout overdone, placeless, over-oaked international. :) I say this mostly because the wine was borderline too soft, almost too perfectly assembled yet I had trouble differentiating the parts. Maybe that's a vintage trait?
Don't get me wrong, I love the wine and I'm glad I have more. (Which I will take your advice and hold to for a while). I'm even more curious about other vintages now. I never would have bought this without having read your past reviews in the first place and I'm glad I did.