The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine dinner with Mark Vlossak of St. Innocent

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Wine dinner with Mark Vlossak of St. Innocent

by JC (NC) » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Commercial in nature but I have no profit motive here.
I won't be able to attend but received an e-mail that Burgundy Wine Company (NYC) is hosting a wine dinner with Mark Vlossak a week from today (Wednesday, Sept. 13, 6:30 PM). Six-course dinner with seven St. Innocent wines (mostly 2004 vintage) at The Tasting Room at 264 Elizabeth Street between Houston and Prince. Contact the restaurant for reservations: 212-358-7831. Cost is $150 (not including tax or gratuity).
There may be someone in the NY area on WLDG who would be interested.

I recently attended two nights and two days of the Pinehurst Food and Wine Festival and will report back on it later in the week. One highlight was a tasting of Inniskillen ice wines and another was an educational seminar with Banfi wines including the Brunello di Montalcino Poggio all'Oro Riserva only made in the best vintages. Some of the cuisine was spectacular as well.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Wine dinner with Mark Vlossak of St. Innocent

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks for posting JC. I've enjoyed Mark's wines and would love to meet him. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:06 pm

That should be awesome. It is great to hear Mark talk about wine.... and his 04s are amazing.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 pm

Jason, welcome to the forum--haven't seen your name before. And I agree--JC, I'm sorry you can't attend that dinner. I would love to hear your thoughts on Mark's 04 White Rose. I'm totally bezonkers about that wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Jason, welcome to the forum--haven't seen your name before. And I agree--JC, I'm sorry you can't attend that dinner. I would love to hear your thoughts on Mark's 04 White Rose. I'm totally bezonkers about that wine.

Thanks for the welcome. I popped over here when my friend Dr. Dietz sent me a link to a thread you had started on the White Rose. He knows I am a bit of a SI fanatic. I am planning on opening a White Rose on Friday. Normally I would wait on the WRs but it sounds like the 04 has a lot to offer right now. In February I tasted it out of the barrel but it was a bit awkward at that stage.

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:07 am

So we're both SI fanatics and friends of Jim's? Neat--you must be the 'source' he spoke of. How long have you been a fan? I discovered SI with the 91 Seven Springs, and then a couple years later I was riding around on a bus down McMinneville way and heard this pediatrician telling how he got these grapes from one of his patients...it was Mark talking about the SS vineyard. Very cool. I have bought SI in every vintage since, typically the SS but sometimes others.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:21 am

Jenise wrote:I have bought SI in every vintage since, typically the SS but sometimes others.

So why are you buying the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit issue? :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:54 am

It's Yaniger's copy. Lots of stains, and I don't think they're all tofu....
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 am

Jenise wrote:So we're both SI fanatics and friends of Jim's? Neat--you must be the 'source' he spoke of.

Yes, yes and yes.

Jenise wrote: How long have you been a fan? I discovered SI with the 91 Seven Springs, and then a couple years later I was riding around on a bus down McMinneville way and heard this pediatrician telling how he got these grapes from one of his patients...it was Mark talking about the SS vineyard. Very cool. I have bought SI in every vintage since, typically the SS but sometimes others.

The first SI I had was the 96 Brickhouse. With a name like that how could I not try it. Loved it. I first connected with Mark around 2000 and have tried to visit at least once a year. Great guy, great wine and wine philosophy...and great prices.

If your not already buying them make sure not to miss the whites. The Pinot Gris and Blanc are fantastic and his 04 Chards are not to be missed. If you like subtlety in your Chard.

I have included a link to a write up I did after my last visit. Me and a friend stopped writing on this blog but here is a link if you are interested. http://thescrutiny.blogspot.com/2006/02/oregon-trail.html

Cheers,

J
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 am

Jenise wrote:It's Yaniger's copy. Lots of stains, and I don't think they're all tofu....

I'll be leaving this BB now. :lol:

J
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 am

Has anyone tasted the 04 St. I Seven Springs and Anden? (I see a local wine shop is about to get them.) I like the 04 Temperance Hill and love the 04 Shea and bought both.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Clint Hall wrote:Has anyone tasted the 04 St. I Seven Springs and Anden? (I see a local wine shop is about to get them.) I like the 04 Temperance Hill and love the 04 Shea and bought both.

Mine are being held at the winery until cooler weather. I did taste them out of the barrel but can't say how they turned out. I am sure they will be great but probably not early drinkers. Especially the Anden.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:04 am

Mark said that the 04 is almost identical to the 93, which he then went on to say was his favorite and longest-lasting vintage of SS. If you trust him on that, 04's not a vintage to miss.