The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: French Night at the Johnson's (Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Bordeaux)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: French Night at the Johnson's (Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Bordeaux)

by jeremy johnson » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 pm

This is my first WTN post, so I'm a little nervous (and more often then not an italian wine drinker!) but here goes!

Perrin Reserve Cotes du Rhone Blanc 2004
frosted gold in color, big barnyard nose with hints of cinnamon and apple, light and jaunty on the tongue with initial impressions of citrus zest giving way to cream and crisp pear, then a dry, long finish...as the wine got air and room temperature more tropical essences crept in, most notably coconut. excellent depth for a 13 dollar french white. Recommended!

Chateau Cap De Faugeres Cotes-de-Castiliion Bordeaux 2001
medium ruby to brick in color, tar, berry and licorice nose with perceptible though not intrusive alcohol. Subtle tannins initially, with plum and lighter berries in the palate, later cranberries, with a lingering finish of black pepper and herbs. Obviously still plenty young, but drinking rather well now. I would love to have this wine in a few years, however!

What a beautiful night to indulge in some french wine. I tasted these while sitting outside, eating dinner and doing an interview with a guitar magazine. Thanks goodness they (the wines) turned out to be so enjoyable, I hate interviews! These wines were superb with tomatillo and madarin salsa and crispy black bean tacos, though I suspect the Bordeaux would go well with spicy lamb or pork chops.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: French Night at the Johnson's (Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Bordeaux)

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 pm

jeremy johnson wrote:This is my first WTN post, so I'm a little nervous (and more often then not an italian wine drinker!) but here goes!

You're doing just fine, Jeremy. If you hadn't told us it was your first written WTN, we'd never have been the wiser. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Good stuff there J. The Rhone Blanc sounds right to me, always like the golden color for a wine so young!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 am

Well done Jeremy -- for a first or for a thousandth tasting note. You made both wines come alive for me -- I especially liked "light and jaunty on the tongue". A perfect description for a Prosecco I had three nights ago. :-)

Please keep posting -- I enjoyed your notes very much. And I'm intrigued by the reason for the interview -- will it be published do you think?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:14 am

Oh yeah- it is going to be in the november issue of Guitar One which should come out in mid October...you can check the mag out at http://www.guitaronemag.com/ or get it at any store that gets magazines (I think Kroger even stocks it)

I'm in a band called Your Black Star, and our record is coming out in mid October, so were about to be touring a lot more, and I'm definitely on the interview circuit :x ...pretty exciting though...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 pm

Great. I'll check it out. If your music is as good as your tasting notes, I'll splurge on the CD too. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:01 pm

heehee...thanks...you can find info at http://www.yourblackstar.com