WTN: 2003 Chateau Kirwan (Margaux)

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2003 Chateau Kirwan (Margaux)

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 pm

2003 rears its ugly head with a wine that more resembles prune juice than Margaux. I picked this up in 375s & am glad I did not go whole hog. I only have two more bottles to go then it's all gone. No elegance, just sweet flab.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: WTN: 2003 Chateau Kirwan (Margaux)

Postby Tim York » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

I suppose that I should hasten to drink up to only 03s which I bought, Talbot and Branaire I think, but this does not encourage me.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

I liked the '03 Branaire very much on release. I should revisit that one as well.

I have never tasted the '03 Talbot.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Ryan M » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 pm

At one point I was planning to get a couple bottles of the 2005 for laying down, based on predictions of huge aging potential. But I quickly changed my mind after seeing it consistently described as tasting more like a Cali Cab than Bordeaux. The consensus seems to be that Kirwan no longer tastes like Margaux. Instead, having tasted and loved the highly traditional La Louviere, I got a couple of those (plus a couple of the not-necesarily-traditional-but-damned-delicious Malmaison).

Still . . . . I have to admit I'm curious. If you'd like to get rid of one of those 375s David, I'd be happy to pay for the shipping! (seriously)
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Tom Troiano » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm

David,

Do me a favor. For purely scientific reasons hold on to one of those half bottles for at least 10 years. I'm guessing it will be better.
Tom T.
Tom Troiano
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Well I have two, so 1 for Ryan and another to bury for 10 years. I can do that.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to WTN Archives