The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Metawine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Metawine

by Saina » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:14 pm

Just as metatalk is talk about talk; metawine is a whine about wine. I've got a great crisis on hand. Not an existential crisis but perhaps more an epistemological one. I'm afraid I don't know anything about wine. I don't know why a wine is good. I don't know why it's bad. I don't know why I bother writing TNs. I don't know if the TNs are useful to anyone.

Riesling smells more like Riesling than apples and petrol: the words we use are totally arbitrary, in fact, even though they may have some sense on the molecular level. Therefore the long and boring TNs I've before written are of no use. They are just lists of meaningless adjectives and nouns.

So I'm at a great crisis point in my vinous life: shall I stop writing TNs altogether? Shall I try some denser note?

Shall I write a note, like I used to? Ch. d'Angludet 2001 (13%, c.30€) is dark in colour, almost purple. The nose has slight leanings toward the "modern" style, but still has plenty of earth, tobacco and lead mixed with the typical Margaux strawberry aromas and cassis/herbs that. The palate is rather full bodied and extracted, but has delightfully high acidity and savoury notes and fine length. Nice stuff!

Or should I write a note like this: d'Angludet '01: a fine example of the mid-modernist style?

Should I write: Ch. Beychevelle 2001 (13%, c.30€) is delightfully dungy and animally, with vegetal notes to the typical St-Julien cedary cassis. The palate is sweetly fruity, yet very savoury and animally, not as assertive as the d'Angludet but more elegant, more traditional despite the rather high alcohol. The aftertaste isn't as long, but it is more fresh and savoury and all the aromas are more to my liking, so I'd rather drink this.

Or: Ch B '01: yum. Traditional claret if a bit short. Like it alot.

Aaaargh! Why do I actually bother thinking about this stuff instead of putting my feet up and stuffing my mouth with bloody chunks of meat and Gargantuan glugs of wine and enjoying life? (Ok, apart from the obvious answer that an enormous part of the enjoyment of wine is the "intellectual" [if it can be called that in this case] part of thinking about what one puts in the mouth...)

Cheers,
Otto the Disillusioned
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: Metawine

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:24 pm

My God, if someone of your ability is disillusioned, what of the rest of us?
I guess if we work at it we could reduce it to two descriptors. It sucks. It doesn't suck. Much easier, lots less space taken on the board, And, of course, voiding of the reason most of us look in here from time to time - to absorb the wisdom of the great ones, including the great Musaraholic.
-OW
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Aaaargh! Why do I actually bother thinking about this stuff instead of putting my feet up and stuffing my mouth with bloody chunks of meat and Gargantuan glugs of wine and enjoying life? (Ok, apart from the obvious answer that an enormous part of the enjoyment of wine is the "intellectual" [if it can be called that in this case] part of thinking about what one puts in the mouth...)

You're too young to be so world-weary, Otto! ;)

Never forget that wine is the one beverage that appeals to all the sensory organs, including (especially?) the brain.

Also try to remember that beneath it all, wine is only grape juice. But it rocks.

Otto the Disillusioned

Go forth and enjoy some Musar or something. Then come back and talk about it. You'll be okay.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:07 pm

One descriptor for sany wine. Crap. Okay. Excellent. How boring would that be. Of course this stuff may be a lot of mental jive, but it's enjoyable in our spare time. It's not a spiritual issue is it? Are you going to end up in some hell for spending time writing TNs? Geez, get a grip man! When does your lady friend get back? You definitely are in need of female company and perspective.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:38 pm

Otto wrote:I'm afraid I don't know anything about wine. I don't know why a wine is good. I don't know why it's bad. I don't know why I bother writing TNs. I don't know if the TNs are useful to anyone.

Otto, You do know why you like, or dislike a certain wine. You're just not certain that you can clearly and accurately describe the reason for your opinion. I have the same problem. I know when I like a wine. I know when a wine represents its "breed" well. However, my overall enjoyment of a wine is usually the result of a synergy that is difficult for me to express clearly. That is why I almost always find my notes lacking to the point that I rarely publish them. I refuse to resort to emply hyperbole like "...infused with a dust of mint laden honey-suckle floating on a lush carpet of cinnamon toast crumbs...". What the heck does that mean?

By the way, I think that your notes are excellent.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Sam Platt wrote: I refuse to resort to emply hyperbole like "...infused with a dust of mint laden honey-suckle floating on a lush carpet of cinnamon toast crumbs...". What the heck does that mean?

It means someones switched your wine for herbal tea. :lol:
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:02 pm

OW Holmes wrote:My God, if someone of your ability is disillusioned, what of the rest of us?
I guess if we work at it we could reduce it to two descriptors. It sucks. It doesn't suck. Much easier, lots less space taken on the board, And, of course, voiding of the reason most of us look in here from time to time - to absorb the wisdom of the great ones, including the great Musaraholic.
Ugly.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:You're too young to be so world-weary, Otto! ;)

Never forget that wine is the one beverage that appeals to all the sensory organs, including (especially?) the brain.

Also try to remember that beneath it all, wine is only grape juice. But it rocks.
Spoiled grape juice, at that!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:14 pm

C`on Otto, keep tasting and spoofing us!! She will be back soon!! Have a glass of port and start writing.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:32 pm

OW Holmes wrote: I guess if we work at it we could reduce it to two descriptors. It sucks. It doesn't suck.

You mean: it sucks, it rocks? Yeah. I kinda like that! The two point scale shall overcome the 100 point one soon.

Robin, it's not weariness, it's a question of epistemology: of what is known, what can be known, and what knowledge can be spread (if any).

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:C`on Otto, keep tasting and spoofing us!! She will be back soon!! Have a glass of port and start writing.

Tomorrow I'll have a Champalimaud Port 2001.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.