WTN: Two recent CdRs

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two recent CdRs

Postby Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 am

With a late dinner of broiled lamb loin medallions, grilled ratatouille and Caprese salad, I opened a recent purchase:

2006 Dom. "La Garrigue" Cotes du Rhone Cuvée Romaine
nose: dark cherry fruit, stones, meaty
palate: medium body, getting fuller as it sat opened, dusty tannins, good acidity, meaty

This wine, imported by Eric Solomon and a declassified Vacqueyras, has received a lot of praise on the wine Internet. After finding it for sale locally for $13.99 a bottle, I decided to open one. Very fine CdR that clearly shows its Vacqueyras roots, it could easily hold its own with wines costing 2-3 times as much.

With a light dinner of gazpacho and sandwiches, we opened:

2007 Dom. d'Andézon Cotes du Rhone Vielles Vignes
nose: brambly dark fruit, minerals
palate: medium body, firm acidic backbone, brightly fruity

This wine, produced by the Caves Cooperative of Estézargues and imported by Eric Solomon, is atypical for a CdR in its flavor profile. Instead of the usual dark cherry profile for Grenache-dominated wines, this one had a much darker fruit element, but also higher acidity and lighter body, indiciative of the high percentage of Syrah in its encepagement. And have I yet mentioned how much I love the '07 vintage in France (and Germany and Austria...)?

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Re: WTN: Two recent CdRs

Postby Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am

Mark
I don't know if you spotted David B's note on the 2007 of the La Garrigue? (Title "Cote du Rhone soda")
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm glad you had better luck with the 2006.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm glad you had better luck with the 2006.

Me, too. We'll see about the '07 if it ever shows up in my market. I'm not likely to cast a wide net for a wine that sells for under $15, especially after your cautionary note.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Return to Wine Focus