The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q: Anyone tried these '01 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Q: Anyone tried these '01 Bordeaux

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:18 am

I am condsidering purchasing some more '01 Bordeaux and would like to know if anyone has experience with these wines. If you are really into the '01 vintage how would you rate these if they all cost the same?

Leoville Poyferre
Lascombs
Calon Segur
Branaire Ducru
Bon Pasteur

Thanks,
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Q: Anyone tried these '01 Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:37 am

Walt,

I have tried all of them, and consider the Branaire and Lascombes the pick of the litter. Bon Pasteur is good as well. I thought Calon very tannic for its fruit. Poyferre is good as well, but I thought I remembered you not favoring their newer style (which would rule out Lascombes and Bon Pasteur as well).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Walt,

I have tried all of them, and consider the Branaire and Lascombes the pick of the litter. Bon Pasteur is good as well. I thought Calon very tannic for its fruit. Poyferre is good as well, but I thought I remembered you not favoring their newer style (which would rule out Lascombes and Bon Pasteur as well).

David,
Thanks, I knew the Bon Pasteur would be a little goopy but didn't expect that of the Lascombs. Love Calon Segur but at 59 don't know if I can wait that long. Just had their '82 that was similarly hard early and it was fantastic after waking up from a 20 year sleep.
Walt
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:24 am

i believe i've tasted all but the bon pasteur at one sitting; but will have to check my notes later. i know i bought the branaire and the poyferre. by tastes run to traditional claret style - not the modern ripe and oaky style. the fellow who made this wine at branaire is now winemaker at mouton - if that means anything.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:46 am

I can't remember tasting the Calon-Segur or Lascombes (but have had '00 & '02 of both). I liked the Poyferre and Branaire, but didn't really think the Bon Pasteur was worth the tariff (though I actually like Right Bank a bit more in '01).

For my tastes none of these would really be considered traditional, Calon-Segur is probaby the most traditional, but it and the Branaire are probably best described as moderates. I think the other three are modern styled Bdx by any standard -I would bet the Lascombes, Bon Pasteur, and Poyferre all see 100% new oak, and all are really ripe.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm

2000 was the first year of modernization at Lascombes, but '01 was the first year it really took hold. Lascombes is now a full modern chateau.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 was the first year of modernization at Lascombes, but '01 was the first year it really took hold. Lascombes is now a full modern chateau.

That sucks. I still have some of their '70 and it is drinking very well.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:46 pm

Can't add anything much, but I've had the Poyferré and the Lascombes. Both were IMO travesties of Bordeaux - utterly spoofed both of them. I'd steer clear of them if you want traditional Claret.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:41 am

found my notes and had not tasted either bon pasteur or calon segur. was not impressed with the lascombes: "very rich nose. fairly tannic and substantial but not as attractive as some others. overdone?" i stick by my support of poyferre as a traditionally styled claret - the only kind i like. " super nose! Just lovely! complete. soft and long and complex."
david creighton
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am

Thanks to all. I ended up going after the Calon Segur (think I will live long enough) and the Branairre Ducru. Don't want any of those "spoofified" wines. Actuallyl have a few bottles of '01 Poyferre in the cellar and decided against anymore since there seems to be a change in style.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:34 pm

creightond wrote: i stick by my support of poyferre as a traditionally styled claret - the only kind i like. " super nose! Just lovely! complete. soft and long and complex."

It's strange how this wine tends to divide drinkers: some like me thinking it utterly spoofed others thinking it traditional. Very odd wine. It would be fun to do a tasting of Léo-Spooferré with the new and old pre-spoof vintages on show. I think I might just arrange such a tasting...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
creightond wrote: i stick by my support of poyferre as a traditionally styled claret - the only kind i like. " super nose! Just lovely! complete. soft and long and complex."

It's strange how this wine tends to divide drinkers: some like me thinking it utterly spoofed others thinking it traditional. Very odd wine. It would be fun to do a tasting of Léo-Spooferré with the new and old pre-spoof vintages on show. I think I might just arrange such a tasting...

The address of the tasting would be J.S. Roscoe Mitchellville MD USA Anytime. Don't mind the cat or dog. Just bring plenty of wine and I'll provide the location. I'll even pick you up at the airport!