WTN: 1994 Dom. du Cayron Gigondas

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 1994 Dom. du Cayron Gigondas

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:22 pm

1994 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (10/3/2009)
Last bottle of a variable half-case picked up at auction. Thankfully this bottle on form.

Some age showing at the rim, but pretty healthy colour for it's age. It's somewhat peppery, even sawdust-like on the nose with a faint whiff of truffle. Not much in the way of primary fruit now.

Quite rich-textured on the palate, with peppery fruit that's more full than the nose suggested. The finish lacks a little length due to a drying finish, but there is some residual flavour of good complexity.

Overall a good bottle and interesting wine, and though an ideal candidate for cellaring, there is more variability than you'd want and it's difficult to imagine there's an obvious and accepted 'peak', just different stages in the wine's life (even more so than with other cellaring wines).

postscript: Gigondas doesn't have a huge reputation as a cellar prospect, but this estate produces very much a cellaring style Gigondas. That said, with accusations of Brett on the loose in their wines and a potentially unbalanced style, it's not IMO a clear-cut cellaring classic. A cellar-builder for a gambler perhaps.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN: 1994 Dom. du Cayron Gigondas

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:17 pm

One gambler here! I have the '98 and '00 in the cellar.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:25 pm

David
Ditto here with a 1999 and a 2003 8) I'm not averse to a gamble for something interesting, even challenging 8) 8)
It would be interesting to hear of other forumites who cellar/drink this wine. :idea:
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Jonathan Loesberg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 am

Up to 1995, Cayron would reliably go for 20 years. I'm not surprised a 94 is showing well. I still have some 99s and 00s, but as with most Gigondas, I expect to drink them up before they turn 12. I don't know what happened in the later 90s. They still make nice wine, but it doesn't seem to have the same aging potential.
Jonathan Loesberg
Wine geek

Return to Wine Focus