The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

question about wine reviews

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

question about wine reviews

by RonicaJM » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 pm

Last night I had the opportunity to try some Franciscan Merlot 2001. I was trying had to figure out what I was seeing, smelling, tasting etc. So, I was thinking it would be helpful to have a reference that had wine reviews. It seems like reading a review of the wine might help me identify some of what I was suppose to be sensing.

Also, what is the best way to get to the wine of the month section on this website? I can't find it.

Thanks.

BTW, this is my 2nd attempt to post this, so forgive me if this is a duplicate message.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: question about wine reviews

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Ronica, Wine Focus has the grape variety of the month here on this forum.

Good question about checking tasting notes!? No doubt Robin will be able to direct you to the old forum and its archives(I have a hard time finding them!).

After I have tasted a wine, I write my notes and post. Then I go to my bookmarks where I have various sites marked and see what comments

are posted there. Cellar-tracker.com is a very good one,just search the wine.
Wine-searcher.com will list where to buy a wine you are interested in and some notes might be there?

I have quite a few bookmarks, many from the UK and Land of Oz. All very educational but avoid looking before tasting a certain wine!!

****over 18 notes on cellar-tracker for the Franciscan. Remember these are personnal notes, not necessarly from experts!!! LOL.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi Ronica -

If you go over to http://www.wineloverspage.com/site_search/

you will find a searchable database of tasting notes from the old WLDG. Type in "franciscan merlot" and see how it goes. There should be a number of reports on various peoples' experiences with this wine (although I don't know if you'll find the '01 in there or not). If you want to really broaden it out, search on "merlot". That will give you a more general impression about what others find in this wine.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 am

Hi Ronica,
Tasting wine is a personal experience. I personally do not like reading reviews or have knowledge of the so-called experts “score” of wines prior to tasting (especially at formal tasting; fear of power of suggestion). I think Bob P is on the right track. You’re best bet is to get familiar with the UC Davis Wine Aroma Wheel, which gives the aroma and flavor profile of almost any wine out there, and helps one communicate to others what one is experiencing.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:23 am

....or buy a whole bunch of jams and jellies and stick your nose in!!!! We had problems with NZ Sauv Blanc and gooseberry. Whats gooseberry they all asked? Some purchased some jars et voila!! Imitating Forest Gump, "we got blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, boysenberry, loganberry, brambleberry, we got all sorts of berry!!". Yeah, I know I missed a few.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:43 pm

RonicaJM wrote: It seems like reading a review of the wine might help me identify some of what I was suppose to be sensing.

I agree with some of the other folks who cautioned against too much suggestion from others' opinions. You're not "supposed" to be getting anything other than what you get. I find that I can taste virtually anything in a wine if I am trying to.

I'm also probably different from a lot of folks in that I don't spend too much time trying to define specific fruit taste-alikes. Whether it shows red or black hits me right away, but I don't know the specific berries and such. For one thing, I didn't like fruit as a kid, so I'm missing memories for comparison that some people have. For me there are also other fascinating discoveries, such as the balance of fruit, acidity and tannins, complexity, geometry and timing of the various expressions in the nose and taste, concentration of fruit, power of the nose, length of the finish, stage of evolution, identification with appellation, and all the ineffable qualities, such as breeding and depth.

Also in my case, I have a hard time telling one California red from another. I admit that I haven't drunk many of the $100 plus Cal reds, which might be more interesting. I think there are more varied qualities in French reds - especially Bordeaux, which makes them more interesting and fun for me. And there are many interesting Bordeaux to be had for under $20.

Covert
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:20 pm

And Ronica, you have probably seen the Open Mike feature here - where somebody picks a wine and others jump on board and give it or something similar a try - it allows you to try that wine and compare your impression with theirs. But don't sweat it if you don't taste what they do. It's your taste buds that count, and if you like it who cares whether it is boisenberry or black raspberry....
-OW
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Also, what is the best way to get to the wine of the month section on this website? I can't find it.

If you click on the WineLoversPage logo, then click on Wine Focus forum you are in the Wine of the Month section..

Or you can use this link <---- here

and welcome to the place!