The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pass the port! I can`t stand it anymore.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Pass the port! I can`t stand it anymore.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 am

Yup, first day of chilly weather up here and I am thinking port! To be honest, probably the past week as I look over my half-bottle stash. The unfiltered Noval has been the mainstay here for years so lets check out one of the `97 LBV`s.

WTN: `97 Quinta do Noval LBV, Portugal (half).

Opened 3 hours and drunk straight from the bottle. Will decant rest tomorrow as I see big lumps of sediment up against the light (like previous bottles).

Colour. Purple tinge on the rim of a huge intense inky black centre.

Nose. Oh oh, some slight corkyness here mixed in with some oak tones. Spice, earth edge, plums but no smoke this time around. The taint distracts but we move on! (Note, are there screwcap ports out there?).

Palate. Well, its not perfect but drinkable all the same. Sweet but good balance here. Blackberry, chocolate, ripe black fruits. Cedar box, soft tannins, currents and raisin pie! Not too alcoholic as it opens, elegant mid-palate. The one LBV I could not do without!! Jamie Goode recs the newly released `99 so look out for it forumites!!

Cost is $14.00 Cdn (half).
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Pass the port! I can`t stand it anymore.

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:55 am

Opened 3 hours and drunk straight from the bottle. I think most people find that using a glass enhances the port experience. :wink: Summery muscadet one day and cool weather LBV the next? And I thought our weather patterns were fickle!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:58 pm

Bob, thanks for the note! Noval's LBV is a jolly nice drop isn't it? I recently had the '98 which wasn't IMO at the same level, but was still really nice. A recent find for me in LBVs is Quinta de la Rosa, though it's a rather different style to Noval. Have you tried it? I thought the tobacco notes were delightful in it!

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:[i]Summery muscadet one day and cool weather LBV the next? And I thought our weather patterns were fickle!

Muscadet yesterday for me also, and today Bordeaux and wishing I had Port. Our weather is as fickle as in the colonies I suppose. It's dashed cold here - only 17 C :(
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:51 pm

Quinta de la Rosa, nope! I too have some of the `98 Noval LBV but will hold on. The `99 has mixed reviews but Jamie Goode wrote up a good report. Only full bottles on the shelves so far, no splits yet.

Otto, I have found some `00 LBV from Churchills. Any news on this one?
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

by Paul Savage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:24 pm

If you see any, by all means try the Dow's CRUSTED PORT. I'm not sure what the term crusted means, but the wines are very much in a vintage Port style, a bit more firm perhaps than LBVs. The '98 was excellent, the '99 "quite good".

The '00 Dow and Fonseca LBVs are also quite good. But some LBVs get a little soft for me.

Now, I always "save" a full 375 when I open a bottle of Port, as the full 375 retains it freshness much better that way. ...Paul
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Quinta de la Rosa, nope! I too have some of the `98 Noval LBV but will hold on. The `99 has mixed reviews but Jamie Goode wrote up a good report. Only full bottles on the shelves so far, no splits yet.

Otto, I have found some `00 LBV from Churchills. Any news on this one?

Yes, the '99 is rather a debated wine. I didn't care too much for it either, thinking it a bit too simple and lacking savoury character. Funny, then that some have said there is a surplus of savoury character in the wine. :roll:

Sorry, never tried Churchill's LBVs but I do rather like the house. Usually no great, exciting ports, but nice fruit and enough savoury notes. If you buy it, do report back.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Yup, first day of chilly weather up here and I am thinking port! To be honest, probably the past week as I look over my half-bottle stash. The unfiltered Noval has been the mainstay here for years so lets check out one of the `97 LBV`s.

WTN: `97 Quinta do Noval LBV, Portugal (half).

Opened 3 hours and drunk straight from the bottle. Will decant rest tomorrow as I see big lumps of sediment up against the light (like previous bottles).

Colour. Purple tinge on the rim of a huge intense inky black centre.

Nose. Oh oh, some slight corkyness here mixed in with some oak tones. Spice, earth edge, plums but no smoke this time around. The taint distracts but we move on! (Note, are there screwcap ports out there?).

Palate. Well, its not perfect but drinkable all the same. Sweet but good balance here. Blackberry, chocolate, ripe black fruits. Cedar box, soft tannins, currents and raisin pie! Not too alcoholic as it opens, elegant mid-palate. The one LBV I could not do without!! Jamie Goode recs the newly released `99 so look out for it forumites!!

Cost is $14.00 Cdn (half).

Having never delved into the realm of port would you recommend a "beginners" port for me. if there is one. I guess my main concern would be to not waste a bunch of money on something I could not initially appreciate. Please help, thanx. :?:
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:05 pm

You're in for trouble here, Aaron. :D Bob P can talk to you about port all day, and then start slicing pieces of raisin pie to go with them.

While not a port expert, I'd recommend you try a Late Bottled Vintage (or LBV) port. They are made for drinking upon release and while not as complex as a mature Vintage Port, will let you assess house styles and can be a damned fine drink. All that for $15-25.

My faves in this category are: Niepoort, Warre's (Traditional), and Noval. The Warre's and the Noval will need to be decanted for sediment. Airing any LBV out for a few hours will help the wine meld a bit.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi Aaron, as usual Bill just abouts sums it up pretty good. I have been known to open the port once in a while, wait till our "stickie" month in December here on the forum!! Luckily, many ports can be purchased in halves and I seem to like fruit pies to accompany as well as some cheese. A good 20 year old Tawny is always nice but I prefer LBV as Bill has mentioned. Quinta do Novel, Warres (superb), Fonseca, Grahams top my list but many to choose from so look around and have fun.

I will look up the Roy Hersh website for you, he is the master!! OK...

http://www.fortheloveofport.com

Bob P.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 pm

Bob,
Why don't you post Roy's website in this thread? I would if I knew what it was. Of course it is linked on the Winelover's homepage. :oops: Port is a eonderful thing. Too bad my wife can't stand to be near the stuff.
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:20 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Bob,
Why don't you post Roy's website in this thread? I would if I knew what it was. Of course it is linked on the Winelover's homepage. :oops: Port is a eonderful thing. Too bad my wife can't stand to be near the stuff.
Cheers!
James

1) Posted just now.

2) Take some port over to the neighbours!!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:1) Posted just now.

2) Take some port over to the neighbours!!!

Well done on #1!

I will follow Dr. Bob's orders as to the port. (Someone call the neighbors!)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:45 am

Regarding Otto`s comments on the Noval `98 and `99 LBVS, there does indeed seem to be a consensus that both wines are pretty similar and just OK. Nicos seems to think the `97 is the one to buy as it is still available on the shelves but our good friend Jamie Goode rates the `99 very high and is somewhat surprised at the up and down discussion. Where do you go? My impression is that maybe wait for the`00!!! LOL.
In the meantime maybe I will open the Churchills `00 LBV and give a heads up here.