The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York. $12.00; Vintage New York, 482 Broome Street. 11.5% alcohol; 1.5% residual sugar. 501 cases.

Straw yellow color, light hue, pretty aroma and tastes of pear and apples, medium mouth feel, lively finish, albeit a bit short. Very nice sipping wine. 3*.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi Bob,
The 1.5% RS is about what I usually like to finish my home made Vidal at. Seems like a nice balance at that point for a normal ripened Vidal, as opposed to late harvest. I agree about the "nice sipping" part. Some seem to think of Vidal as a poor man's Riesling, but I don't find it as food friendly.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Bob, many thanks for this TN.

Vidal makes what I consider to be some of our best "everyday" white table wine in Ontario; this despite the fact that as a variety, it is of course most famous as one of our icewine grapes.

I've had some truly fine dry Vidal from Magnotta - their '00 in particular threw masses of tartrate crystals and if any white could be said to have "crystalline acidity", that one did.

Vidal is extremely versatile for us here in Ontario because it successfully runs the gamut from crisp dry table wines, to off-dry, to late-harvest and finally, icewine. It's hardy and productive and a good match for our terroir.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:04 pm

This one got a Double Gold and was judged Best White Wine at the New York State Fair this year.
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:14 pm

I visited Atwater for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and two bottles of the 2005 Vidal is what I ended up buying - good stuff. The 2004 was pretty good, too, though the winery price for the 2005 ($14?) was substantially more than I paid at retail for the 2004 (got bottles for $10 and $11).