Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

MSG: can you believe this?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

MSG: can you believe this?

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:08 am

I saw a legal notice of a class action suit in which anyone who indirectly purchased MSG or nucleotides between 1983 and 1999 is a Class Member (probably just about everyone in America):

MSG and nucleotides are food flavor enhancers used in dehydrated soups and gravies; canned meat; sausage, prepared meals; tomato sauce and ketchup; mayonnaise; snack foods (mix in salt); soy sauce, crab, prawn, fish and shellfish (preserved); Asian cuisine; prepared vegetables; and a variety of other products.

Another scheme for lawyers to get rich?
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

Re: MSG: can you believe this?

by Carl K » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:41 am

And you're surprised how? Hell, my wife got a notice that she was eligable to be included in a class action suit because a med she used to take increases the risk of developing type II Diabetes (the med tends to make you fat). The thing that gets me is that the insert the pharmacist is supposed to include with all meds stated this unusually clearly considering the warnings seem to be writen by the same people who write stereo instructions! So what are they suing over? Was someone supposed to come out from the drug company to the house of each person who ever gets put on this drug and tell them in person?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:28 am

Remember this: lawyers file suits on the basis that everyone in the country is a flaming idiot and not competent to make their own choices.

That being said, I am not surprised.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 pm

I would not be trying to collect. If the lawsuit is successful, the best you can hope for is something between $10 and $100 U.S. We have been notified that class suits against companies that we have stock in have been successful (the latest being Nortel), and when we checked them out, it would cost more money to file the claim, than what we could collect.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 pm

So just what is the alleged harm supposed to be, for which they seek damages from the court?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Here's the pitch they are making in New Jersey, Paul:

It is alleged that many food products sold in New Jersey are mislabeled concerning the MSG that they contain, i.e., there are a number of products that claim "No MSG", "No MSG added", or "No added MSG" on their labels when they actually contain MSG. Such claims are generally made when the MSG is present in one of over 40 ingredients with names that provide no reference to MSG. Examples are hydrolyzed soy protein, autolyzed yeast, yeast extract, calcium caseinate, gelatin, and whey protein.

MSG is a commonly used name for the active ingredient in monosodium glutamate, (i.e.,processed free glutamic acid), that causes adverse reactions in over 25% of the U.S. population and, based on animal studies, is believed to cause brain lesions and neuroendocrine disorders, including obesity.

Throughout the United States, many bottled, frozen, bagged, or canned processed products, even those labeled organic, contain MSG which is most often used to enhance flavor. It is prevalent in processed soups, salad dressings, and luncheon meats. MSG can also be found in some vaccines, pharmaceuticals, and supplements.

Individuals with recognized or unrecognized sensitivities to the MSG food additive may experience adverse reactions to both low and high doses of MSG, depending on their MSG tolerances. Common MSG adverse reactions include migraine headaches, seizures, heart irregularities, skin rashes, joint pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and more. In addition, MSG may have long term adverse health effects.

Due to the false advertising and labeling by these product manufacturers, many MSG-sensitive consumers are buying and ingesting products that contain a form of MSG. Since the State of New Jersey has strong consumer fraud and protection laws, many legal professionals are ready to support and defend those who have been adversely affected by these mislabeled products.

Lawyers and Settlements.[/list]
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:I would not be trying to collect.

You can't anyway. Damages are going to various charities.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:I would not be trying to collect.

You can't anyway. Damages are going to various charities.

Which will , no doubt, get 10 cents on the dollar, the other 90 going to the attorneys.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:53 pm

You know, it's the 95% of lawyers that give the rest a bad name.