My first 100% certified organic Graves!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

My first 100% certified organic Graves!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 pm

WTN: `04 Chateau Meric Graves.

Purchased for this months exercise, $25 Cdn. Little known house, owned by Francois Barron family (7th generation). Located in town of La Brede.

12.5% alc, good natural cork, opened one hour but not decanted.

Color. Very pale garnet, not much depth in centre. Already showing some maturity on the rim, light brick.

Nose. Appeals with black cherry, lead pencil, some dark fruits. Hint of some oak in background. Not much change on day 2.

Palate. Initial entry thought was dry, medium puckery tannins, cherry, blackcurrant. At first thought tad thin on mid-palate but it improved after 2 hrs. Tart finish but good length, the pork scallopini was a good match, bringing out some sweetness (?) in the wine finish.
It really improved after a couple of hours, tannins settled and drinks nicely.
Day 2, softer finish, blackcurrant, no downturn. Nice with Bresse Bleu cheese. Interesting wine, very good price.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: My first 100% certified organic Graves!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 pm

So does anyone have a comment???
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: My first 100% certified organic Graves!

Postby Tim York » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Apologies, Bob, for my slow reaction but I have been shut down all day awaiting the visit of a Belgacom technician who was supposed to give me a new line. In the event he turned up without the modem promised by the sales people and I had to switch back to the old line :evil: ; not his fault though and he worked overtime to reconnect me :) .

This sounds an interesting bottle and a slow developer; this may be a sometime organic characteristic judging by a first reading of an RVF article. Stay tuned for my summary of it.

Do you know the wines varietal make-up? A lot of Graves is roughly 50/50 Cabernets and Merlot.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus