The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine to go with Bratwurst?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Wine to go with Bratwurst?

by Agostino Berti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 am

What's a good wine to pair with bratwurst and sauerkraut if you don't feel like having beer?
Would a red totally clash?

Thanks,
Agostino
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Wine to go with Bratwurst?

by Ryan M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am

Hello Agostino,

You need a high-acidity red. Consider a red Cotes-du-Rhone especially if you intend to grill the wurst. I had a very nice match with grilled Bratwurst and Chateauneuf earlier in the year.

Best Wishes,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 pm

The sauerkraut is a killer. Perhaps Grüner Veltliner?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Good idea from David. I would suggest an Alsacian Riesling maybe, worked for me in the past.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Bob's suggestion is great, but I've successfully paired sauerkraut and brats w/ German Riesling. Maybe a kabinett.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. My hard head wanted a red - and there it was staring right at me as I walked into the cellar - a 100% Croatina from the Biella area. A tannic monster. Probably the most tannic wine I've ever had - it should battle the sauerkraut well... :twisted: :P :oops: :mrgreen:
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 pm

I've had sauerkrat and brats before with richer dry Rieslings - normally lean towards Austrians or German trockens/GGs. (Not too long back had a Schonleber Fruhlingsplatzchen trocken that made a fantastic match with a plate of bratwurst.)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I'll be curious how you felt the tannic red did, that wouldn't have been high on my list.
I love choucroute, and usually have dry Alsatian Riesling, though I've also had dry to offdry Germans, Alsace PG, etc.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:19 pm

All of the above suggestions have validity but when it comes to pure knockwurst or bratwurst with sauerkraut, my option is invariably for beer.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm

As the grandson of a Bavarian immigrant (does that do anything to establish my street cred? :roll: ) Brats and German pilsner is a match made in heaven. I wouldn't say no to any of the riesling or gruner suggestions. I am not sure about the reds though.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I am not sure about the reds though.

You gotta try the Chateauneuf match then - I served it with brats that had been soaked in beer, onion, garlic, s&p, then grilled, served on a bun with kraut and ketchup. The CdP was an 8-year-old too (2001). And it was a great match. I think its the combo of the grilled smoke/char, the juicy fat of the brats, and the acidity of the CdP. Gigondas would work too.

We actually discussed this previously: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23253&p=200648&hilit=bratwurst#p200648
Last edited by Ryan M on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Mike B. wrote:Bob's suggestion is great, but I've successfully paired sauerkraut and brats w/ German Riesling. Maybe a kabinett.

Mike, I have to agree with your assessment. IMO if the sauerkraut is to be served then the sweetness is needed to offset the acid in the kraut. I could even see a spatlese if the sugar is not TOO high. My first choice though would be a good German beer such as an Hofbrau original.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

by Agostino Berti » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:03 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:when it comes to pure knockwurst or bratwurst with sauerkraut, my option is invariably for beer.

Is knockwurst an authentic sausage or an Americana invention, kind of like "Parmesan" cheese? I remember mentioning knockwurst around some Germans and they all laughed at me... :oops: :cry: It was horrible... :mrgreen:

As for the tannic croatina pairing last night - I think the sauerkraut especially made the tannins angrier - it certainly wasn't a harmonius match. Its funny, I then took a sip after eating a bite of Bitto cheese from Valtellina and the tannins melted away...
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:14 am

[quote="Agostino Berti"]...Is knockwurst an authentic sausage or an Americana invention, kind of like "Parmesan" cheese? I remember mentioning knockwurst around some Germans and they all laughed at me...

Agostino, Hi.....

The knockwurst (the English corruption of the German word knackwurst) is indeed Germanic in its source, having originated in Holstein as early as the 14th century.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm in the Alsatian camp, especially Riesling. When I make any kind of wurst in a pan with sauerkraut or cabbage, I use some of the wine to cook it in as well.

That said, Sauerkraut in Alsace and indeed in eastern Europe too, seems very different from what we usually get in the US, which is sweeter, much sharper and wine-unfriendly.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:10 am

I seem to remember my Swiss grandfather buying knockwurst in Basel? At least that is what he called it I think.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:16 am

Agostino Berti wrote:
Is knockwurst an authentic sausage or an Americana invention, kind of like "Parmesan" cheese? I remember mentioning knockwurst around some Germans and they all laughed at me... :oops: :cry: It was horrible... :mrgreen:

You could be running into one of those regional things where people from one part of the country either do not recognize or openly scorn food/wine/beer(especially beer) from another part of the country.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:29 pm

I have recently tasted a bottle of Marcel Deiss Burlenberg Pinot Noir 2003 that will pair with nothing in this world other than wurst and sauerkraut. It is in a very strange place right now (and heading south fast.) It has taken on a smoked pork-fat and chestnut and cabbage flavor while the once stout fruit is now playing submarine. It was once quite grand. It seems that the '03 vintage which made it so engaging in its youth might be collecting interest on that loan now. Though for your purpose, it really might be perfect.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am

Surprised no one has mentioned a good Franken Sylvaner. Few things better with wurst.

And the Alsacienne eat sausage and 'kraut with Riesling and Edelzwicker and such all the time, as many have observed.

Northern Italian reds---the ones low in tannin and high in acid---work pretty nicely too. You know: the ones that are more German/Austrian than Italian.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Don't recall having mentioned it recently but the best (and don't anyone dare contradict me!) knockwurst and bratwurst in the known universe are to be found in the small kiosk directly opposite the entrance to the Weisbaden railroad station.

Second bests (albeit still exquisite) are in the many stands surrounding nearly every park in Vienna.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Hoke wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned a good Franken Sylvaner. Few things better with wurst.

And the Alsacienne eat sausage and 'kraut with Riesling and Edelzwicker and such all the time, as many have observed.

Northern Italian reds---the ones low in tannin and high in acid---work pretty nicely too. You know: the ones that are more German/Austrian than Italian.

Another classic pairing in my ancestral stomping grounds (Frankfurt a/M) is apple wine (apelwoi in the local argot). More generally, a hard cider would probably do well, too.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Don't recall having mentioned it recently but the best (and don't anyone dare contradict me!) knockwurst and bratwurst in the known universe are to be found in the small kiosk directly opposite the entrance to the Weisbaden railroad station.

Second bests (albeit still exquisite) are in the many stands surrounding nearly every park in Vienna.

Best
Rogov

I'm just amazed that you've eaten enough bratwurst in every corner of the known universe to be confident enough to make this claim!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm just amazed that you've eaten enough bratwurst in every corner of the known universe to be confident enough to make this claim!

Rahsaan, Hi....

An exaggeration on my part perhaps but one with a bit of poetic license for, as Oscar Wilde reminded us: "Where there is no exaggeration there is no love, and where there is no love there is no understanding. It is only about things that do not interest one, that one can give a really unbiased opinion"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Don't recall having mentioned it recently but the best (and don't anyone dare contradict me!) knockwurst and bratwurst in the known universe are to be found in the small kiosk directly opposite the entrance to the Weisbaden railroad station.

Best
Rogov

I do believe I've had the wurst at that kiosk, Daniel! Well, the brat and the weisswurst mit senf, but not the knackwurst. And yes, I won't disagree with your culinary statement.

Mark: Lived in the vicinity of Frankfurt a/M for three years---and attended Frankfurt High School---and can testify to the many kiosks for wurst, and the apfelwoi. You prolly drank the seasonal maywine too, dintcha? Flavored with woodruff? The only thing I didn't get used to was the Frankfurter idea of a hamburger---a meatball of ground meat and tomatoes as big as the biggest knoedle you've ever seen, all dropped into a vat of of boiling grease until it floated to the top browned, then plopped on a paper plate with mustard. The only thing to be said for it was that, with all the grease, it was a slider par excellence, and slid right down the gullet.

I stuck with the wurst, which was better than the best of those weird meatballs. :^)
Next