The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1984 St Estephe, 2005 Scharzhofberger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

WTN: 1984 St Estephe, 2005 Scharzhofberger

by Charles Weiss » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:23 pm

• 2005 Vereinigte Hospitien Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Saar (8/28/2006)
    Lots of ripe fruit, towards the peachy side of things. Decent acid. Certainly a good wine and a pleasant drink. and will probably be a more than good wine when it loses some fat, but seemed more like a Rheinhessen than a Scharzhofberger.

• 1984 Château Les Ormes de Pez - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (8/27/2006)
    A 22 year-old Cru Borgueois from a poor vintage? In half-bottle yet. I've had this around for years as part of a long-abandoned vertical. Tonight, a solitary dinner with duck was somehow the night for either me or the sink to drink it. Nobody else need be exposed to either the taste or to my folly in cellaring it. Another, different, half bottle stood ready on the counter, almost sure to be needed.
    But...as so often happens for better or for worse...the answer can only come from the bottle. Quite light in color as befits the age, with orange at the rim. The nose has fruit!--currants that have been around, and some spicy sweetness. In the mouth there is also good fruit, not primary to be sure but some cassis, a little cedar, and plenty of acid to keep the wine fresh even though the fruit is in pleasant decay. It has the sweetness in the mouth of an older dry red wine The tannins have certainly resolved. There is a mild but not unpleasant metallic note to the finish, which is of decent length. Perhaps it would have been even better 5 years ago. Or not.
    Quite a nice experience.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: WTN: 1984 St Estephe, 2005 Scharzhofberger

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am

Charles, get yourself the E. Müller Kabinett instead, for a 2005 Scharzhofberger. It shouldn't even be that much more expensive.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:40 am

Nice notes Charles. Bad vintages are not always so.

I've tried a few bottles from the Vereinigte Hospitien and never been too impressed. It sort of reminds me of the indifferent producers in Clos Vougeot - a sad waste of a terroir.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:48 pm

Yes, David, I'd always been underwhelmed by them as well, but it was touted by someone whose recommendations I trust. And really, it was a good and enjoyable wine, just not what I was expecting.

Thanks for the recommendation, Peter. Egon Muller's wines are signficantly more expensive here and not so easy to find always. I've certainly liked what I've had.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:20 pm

[quote="Peter Ruhrberg"]Charles, get yourself the E. Müller Kabinett instead, for a 2005 Scharzhofberger. It shouldn't even be that much more expensive.

Peter,
Ich liebe Egon Mueller, aber I think that even Egon's Kabinett is much more expensive than Vereinigte Hospitien's Spaetlese (rightfully so). But I haven't bought either in a while.

Charles, thanks for the notes. I haven't had many '05 MSR's yet

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:41 am

Finding Egon's Kabinett may be a challenge. I think he made very little this year. It was available in Germany for just over 20€ though. I'd be curious to know the US price...

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:34 am

Charles Weiss wrote:Yes, David, I'd always been underwhelmed by them as well, but it was touted by someone whose recommendations I trust. And really, it was a good and enjoyable wine, just not what I was expecting.

I guess I am becoming a Riesling curmudgeon. More and more as time goes by I am irritated by wines that are not of their type or place (or at least region).
Decisions are made by those who show up