Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking risotto ahead

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Cooking risotto ahead

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:53 pm

We are entertaining a couple we have not seen in a long time. I want to spend as much time with them as possible but still do a "wow" dinner.
I'd like to make a favorite risotto dish. Will I have success by cooking it through to the last cup of broth in the morning, letting it sit, then heating and adding the last cup before serving along with the peas, lemon juice, zest I add at the finish?
Will I compromise the taste?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cooking risotto ahead

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Karen -

I haven't tried this, but it's supposed to be the best way to make risotto for guests while still enjoying some time with those guests prior to supper. Hopefully, someone else with more risotto experience will pipe in here....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:44 am

It's perfectly doable, and SOP in restaurants. But it's not optimal- the texture suffers. It's a tradeoff against the fun of sitting with friends rather than stirring the pot.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 am

Karen

You will achieve a better result if you cool the partially cooked risotto quickly.
Cook it as far as you want to go, then spill it out onto a sheet pan (cookie sheet) and spread it out into as thin a layer as possible. Get it into the fridge so the temperature comes down rapidly.

When you are ready to serve, proceed as normal.