The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Christoffel Kabinetts Ürz Würz & Erd Treppchen 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Christoffel Kabinetts Ürz Würz & Erd Treppchen 2005

by Saina » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:59 pm

Both opened today and will be monitored over a couple days. Both are under Stelvin - go Christoffel! :)

Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett 2005 9%, AP 2 602 041 003 06

Joh. Jos. Christoffel Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett 2005 9%, AP 2 602 041 004 06

It's hard to see which I'd prefer of the two as both are changing much in glass. Sometimes the ET is more mineral; sometimes the ÜW is. Sometimes the ET shows more depth; sometimes the ÜW does.

It's easier to say that the ÜW seems more fruity and less acidic, while the ET shows more a Ruwerian sort of steely austerity. But both have great fruit and a balanced amount of sugar and are more overtly acidic than the other 2005s I've so far sampled (which is only good). Both are maybe again a tad heavy to be Kabinetts, leaning towards the Spätlese style.

The ÜW does show a rather different nose: I guess the unique smell is the "spiciness" alluded to in the name, but I would rather have said its an earthyness, a bit red toned (like baked bricks) and floral in nature. The ET isn't so unique in its aromas but is equally lovely and I do appreciate the steeliness of it.

I love both wines as the warm year hasn't hidden the minerality and acidity underneath all else. In my next case, I'd like quite a few more of both and any other Christoffels available! This style of Riesling is the one I love. I don't remember tasting Christoffels before these two bottles!!!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Christoffel Kabinetts Ürz Würz & Erd Treppchen 2005

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks, Otto. I really like the '04 UW Kab and it's good to see that '05 is under Stelvin. I hope it's that way in the US as well. 2002-04 UW kabs were under synth cork and a '02 that we had at a recent German Wine Society meeting was prematurely aged.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:55 am

Very nice review, Otto. Thanks. I like the Treppchen a little better at this stage, for it is more Kabinett like / steely, less fat. The same for the Spätlesen, though the ÜW has serious depth. The ET Auslese is also not to be missed. Very fine wines indeed, despite the concernes one may have about R. Eymaels reign.

Peter
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:07 pm

Last drops being drained now. The ET more my style, I can say now. More mineral, less fat as Peter says. But both are nice. If only I had a biffer cellar...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.