The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sauvignon Blanc 6-pack ... briefly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: Sauvignon Blanc 6-pack ... briefly

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:25 am

I need no coaxing whatsoever to try a new bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. I’ve had the opportunity to try a handful-plus-one over the past couple of weeks. Here are brief notes; wines are listed in no particular order of preference.

2004 Chinook Winery Sauvignon Blanc (Yakima Valley, WA): Lovely aroma, but not highly floral. Clear and crisp with refreshing fruit and a good finish. $17

2005 Evans & Tate Underground Series Sauvignon Blanc (Western Australia): Light and crisp with sharp acidity. A bit of an edge on the finish. $10

2005 Fleur du Cap Sauvignon Blanc (Stellenbosch, So Africa): A surprisingly nice wine for the price. Crisp and refreshing with nice fruit and minerals. $8

2005 Fairvalley Sauvignon Blanc (Fairview, So Africa): This is a very light bodied wine with little aroma. Drinkable but not very exciting. $8

2004 Claude Lafond La Raie Reuilly (Loire Valley, France): Crisp and lemony with lots of minerals on the finish. Very nice indeed. $17

2005 Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough, New Zealand): Crisp and tart with decent complexity and some minerals on the finish. A very good wine for the price. $12

If you need to buy lots of wine for a party, you will not go wrong with the Fleur du Cap. If you desire lemon rocks, the Claude Lafond is for you. If you want a really nice, yet moderately affordable wine, go for the Oyster Bay.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Sauvignon Blanc 6-pack ... briefly

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:27 am

Great notes and recommendations. I like the style. I need to try more Loire SBs.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:52 am

Fleur du Cap also produce an unfiltered SB that is worth looking out for.

Fair Valley is a separate (ish) operation to Fairview, i.e they have their own winemaker. Its an emplowerment project owned by Fairview workers -- profits go towards homebuilding.

Oyster Bay SB is well well priced and a super NZ SB.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:28 am

Peter, did you see the discussion on the Uk forum about what is a typical NZ SB? See my post there on the Crawford!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 am

I don't think there is such a thing as a typical NZ SB since there is quite a difference between Marlborough SB and those from elsewhere in NZ. You didn't note where the Crawford SB originated.

The one that impressed me considerably at a friends house recently is 2004 Hunter's Sauvignon Blanc . Must buy some next time I go to the Wine Soc.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:05 pm

Sorry there Peter. Marlborough it is! Hunters, I have not seen recently.
Interest for you maybe is the sparkling SB from Mt Riley? Will look up notes and post on Open Mike Picnic.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:20 pm

Peter May wrote:I don't think there is such a thing as a typical NZ SB since there is quite a difference between Marlborough SB and those from elsewhere in NZ.

Hi Peter,
There's also much diversity between different parts of Marlborough, and many producers here are pushing that point, especially those that bring out Single Vineyard wines. The commonality is that the Marlborough Sauv Blanc is bright, vivacious, fruity and usually very very good, but I'm one-eyed when it comes to his subject. :wink:
Cheers,
Sue