The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Interesting Happenings at the WA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Interesting Happenings at the WA

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Ealier the guy that covered Italy for RP left, well, think he was booted out. Just read the Pierre R. is leaving. Bob's going to have to drink a lot more wine to keep up the ratings flow.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Interesting Happenings at the WA

by Bob Henrick » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Hmmmm, wonder why P-Air is leaving too. Could The Bob be hard to get along with. I doubt that.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Hmmmm, wonder why P-Air is leaving too. Could The Bob be hard to get along with. I doubt that.

A long write-up on eBob. I am a fan of RP, just not his ratings or palate. Pierre was very complimentary and is leaving because he claims to be a people person and being a critic is a very lonely job. This made sense to me.
Walt
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:02 pm

PAR has written a message on eBob: (http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?s=2ef28be2913dbe6537d527fda979e1ba&t=102310).

Even though PAR was the 'heir apparent', he has decided to go back into retail. Brave choice!

It will be very interesting to see what RP does now. Will he try to bring some very big names in (e.g., Meadows, Tanzer) and merge the WA? Will he simply bring in 1-2 others (or no one) for a few years and then retire? Or will he scale back, and just cover Bordeaux, the Rhone and California himself?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Jumping the shark?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm not saying this is <i>a propos</I>. I'm not saying it's not. I'm just offering it without comment:

Jumping the shark
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Garr ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:29 pm

%^)

You NEVER cease to amaze me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

Re: Jumping the shark?

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not saying this is <i>a propos</I>. I'm not saying it's not. I'm just offering it without comment:

Jumping the shark

Robin,
Don't think I would put much money on your "Jumping the Shark" concept. RP is still the dominate voice in wine whether we like it, agree with it or in my case don't care about it. He sells more wine at retail outlets than anyone and will continue IMHO.
Walt
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:12 pm

But he doesn't make any money from retail sales, so the influence of his voice makes no difference on his bottom line. Paying subscribers are what funds his budget...nothing else.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:22 pm

I think we'll see an announcement soon that he and Jancis are forming a partnership! Eh? Eh??
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:49 pm

MLawton wrote:But he doesn't make any money from retail sales, so the influence of his voice makes no difference on his bottom line. Paying subscribers are what funds his budget...nothing else.

I didn't make myself clear. His large influence on retail sales is what sells the Wine Advocate. The first thing out of a wine salesman mouth is the Parker points or the Wine Spectator points. That is what sells the wine to lemmings.
Walt
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Hoke wrote:I think we'll see an announcement soon that he and Jancis are forming a partnership! Eh? Eh??

Hoke, watch yourself, money talks and bullshit walks. They would make a ton of money together no matter how much they may not like each other. You have an inspired idea. What would a little public dustup be when they could get together and rule the wine world? I would buy their mag and so would you.