TNR - 2004 Rashi Barolo

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR - 2004 Rashi Barolo

Postby Michael P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:06 pm

I noticed they have (finally) emptied the shelves on the 2000 barolo - and now have the 2004. Rogov, have you tasted?

Thanks.
Michael P
Ultra geek

Re: TNR - 2004 Rashi Barolo

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm

With immense respect as usual - Daniel posted this wine note about a Rashi Varolo 2006 - which is not out and about (that I know of), and I think tasted it at the same wine event that I was at, and I tasted a 2004 vintage. Daniel's post is found here: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22735&p=194822.

Rashi, Barolo, Piedmont, 2006: Dark garnet in color, medium-bodied, with gripping tannins and a light animal aroma that arises when the wine is first poured, those residing to reveal almost compote-like berry, black cherry and currant fruits. Made from traditional Nebbiolo grapes but hardly representative of traditional Barolo. Drink now-2010. Score 84. K

My comments can be found here: http://kosherwinemusings.com/2009/02/17/international-food-wine-festival-at-herzog-wine-cellars-2009-results/. My particular notes from that event for the 2004 vintage:

2004 Rashi Barolo – Score: B
The nose on the light garnet colored wine is earthy with cranberry, cherry, plum, eucalyptus, and hints of oak. The mouth of this medium bodied wine is busy with cranberry and cherry. The mid palate is balanced but not rich with tannin, acid, and light oak. The finish is medium with oak, acidity, and cloves. The wine is not a winner to me, but it is better than the 2000 vintage which was horrible recently.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Michael, Hi....

Interestingly enough, I tasted the 2006 vintage of this wine (as of yet unreleased) even before tasting the 2004. Life does get confusing at times...

Best
Rogov

Rashi, Barolo, Piedmont, 2004: Medium garnet towards royal purple, medium-bodied, with firm tannins, earthy notes and spicy oak that yield to reveal red and black cherries, cranberries and pomegranate (yes, dammit, pomegranate) along with citrus peel notes. Tannins rise on the moderately long finish along with hints of pepper and cloves and garrigue. Like the 2006 and earlier wines, a pleasant and even good wine but not at all traditional for Barolo. Drink now-2011. Score 85. K (Tasted 26 May 2009)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michael P » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm

when o when will they make an excellent kosher Italian????
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby Scott S » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Is there still a kosher Brunello di Montalcino in the pipes? Or is it all being kept in a vault until the global recession comes to an end.
Scott S
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Is there still a kosher Brunello di Montalcino in the pipes? Or is it all being kept in a vault until the global recession comes to an end.

'Tis still in the works. The wine should be released in early spring of 2010. I wll post as soon as permission is granted.

when o when will they make an excellent kosher Italian????

With the possible exception of the wine referred to above, my guess is that Italy will start producing truly exceptional kosher wines about three days after the arrival of the Messiah. Well.....with a little bit of luck perhaps sooner.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Scott S wrote:Is there still a kosher Brunello di Montalcino in the pipes? Or is it all being kept in a vault until the global recession comes to an end.

They're struggling to make non-kosher Brunello, that's actually Brunello at the moment! The big 5 companies named as having transgressed were: Antinori, Argiano, Banfi, Casanova di Neri, and Marchesi de’ Frescobaldi. Full details here: http://vinowire.simplicissimus.it/

It's a real shame if some people can't have access to the great wines of Italy, in at least something close to their natural form. The variety from the country can be stunning and even the oft-neutral whites are now becoming much more interesting. My fingers are crossed for you that some good kosher examples appear in the coming years.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum