Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yogurt question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Yogurt question

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:43 pm

Would someone explain the difference between yogurt and Greek-style yogurt?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Yogurt question

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Here's a recipe: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greekyogurt.htm

To my taste, thick, gooey, maybe a bit more acidic. But the fat is just too much for me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:01 am

Larry, based on my experience living in a Greek-American neighborhood in NYC (Astoria, Queens), where we ate a LOT of Greek food, I think there are several answers to this question but not one single canonical form.

Greek yogurt, depending on whose menu you're looking at, may be:

1) Rich, creamy, whole-milk yogurt, no different than any other fresh whole-milk yogurt.

2) The same, allowed to sit in a cheesecloth bag overnight so much of the liquid runs out, leaving a thicker product akin to farmer cheese or <i>fromage blanc</i>. Again, no different from other ethnic yogurts except that you eat it in a Greek restaurant.

3) Either of the above, served as a dessert garnished with almonds and drizzled with honey. That's Greek.

That's my story, anyway, but I'm telling it from Greek dining experience, not from books or Google.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 am

Fair points, Robin, with one caveat: I made it and it's too rich for me. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:33 am

Could it be that "Greek yogurt" means goats milk yogurt? That's the only kind I've ever seen in Greece. Or maybe I'm out of date as I haven't lived in that region for thrity years.

Goats milk yogurt has a lot stronger flavor than the sort made from cow's milk, which is the kind sold in American markets. In our household we always have in the fridge a pot of goat yogurt (it's not easy to find) to serve with meat and vegetables, and cow yogurt to serve the American way, with fruit.