The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'Gypsy Dancer' NZ operation placed in receivership

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

'Gypsy Dancer' NZ operation placed in receivership

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:04 pm

http://www.winebusiness.com/news/DailyNewsArticle.cfm?dataid=44261

"He [Gary Andrus] told the Wine Spectator in 2003 (about his new Central Otago venture)"...I plan to take Central Otago Pinot Noir to a new price point...", prompting raised eyebrows from other wineries as to whether he could create such high priced wines from such young vines."

I've not tasted the wines.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: 'Gypsy Dancer' NZ operation placed in receivership

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 pm

Sue
Sad to see someone's business bite the dust, but Otago is IMO struggling to prove it's reputation at existing levels (I hope it does though). Perhaps he'd have had more success attempting the trick in Martinborough?

On the subject of Otago, I presume you've read Pinot Pioneers by Ric Oram? Usually these regional books can be a little too full of lightweight magazine style "gloss", but I found this one to be an excellent insight in the mentality (very intentional use of the word!) of people setting out to make wine in an otherwise non-wine region. A book that makes me hope the pioneers do find a place for themselves in the wine world.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi Ian, hows it going!? Looks like an interesting Open Mike coming up, picnic bubbles!! I see the new soccer season has started.
Have you come across the Matua Valley Paretai SB? Its over $34 Cdn here, the `05 vintage. I think Sue reviewed it somewhere. Having a break from gamay, retasting the Kim Crawford SB this evening.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:59 pm

I remember this guy's 'speech' about the new price point very well. Whil;e I don't wish anyone any harm - it's not polite or good karma to get pleasure out of anyone's failure - I have to admit I am a little chuffed to hear of this guy's demise in NZ. I'm sure he'll make out fine, and he has other wineries to overcharge at!

But it just bugs me somehow to see people entering the wine business and immediately decide a new higher price point is needed. Wine has changed so much, from a modest liquid to have with meals to status symbol and cultural icon. You can't stop 'progress' I know, but I often (selfishly, I admit) wish that wine weren't quite so hip: winmaking as a liefstyle may be disappearing, but I don't have to like the new winemaking as a way to wealth and/or status paradigm!

Keep the farmers, get rid of the bankers and dot-commers!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Bob
Not bad and it looks like I might be able to enjoy football if the planned takeover of Aston Villa by Randy Lerner of the Cleveland Browns goes ahead. Quite franky I'd accept anyone after the years of neglect by "Deadly" Doug Ellis.
I doubt they'll win anything this year, but mid-table obscurity and a team that believes their efforts won't be sabotaged by the chairman would be a massive improvement.
Not too late to join the Uk wine forum fantasy football league Bob!

Picnic bubbles might be a possibility as we picked up a bottle of Prosecco a few weeks ago, however we're tied up thursday to saturday, so might not get to the mike too quickly!

I've not tried the MV wine (got a bit put out by they're lower level offerings), but would be interested. We've got some friends who love Cloudy Bay SB and I'm trying to wean them off it, as it's expensive to keep gifting it to them! Isabel is to my palate better, though I can still see the appeal of it at NZ prices (now a half to a third of UK prices).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm

Ian, get to the mike when you can........ Aston Villa, they have a good coach now but will take time eh.
Isabel, good stuff. I have just this very moment opened the new `05 Kim Crawford SB (will help me as I am writing birding reports). This one is bone-dry but good of course. Lots of fresh cut grass on the nose, very obvious. 2nd bottle in a week as last week I could not get anything done with all the commotion here!!!....and notes suffered.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Sue
Sad to see someone's business bite the dust, but Otago is IMO struggling to prove it's reputation at existing levels (I hope it does though). Perhaps he'd have had more success attempting the trick in Martinborough?

It can't have helped having the 2004 and 2005 vintages to contend with. I drove through the Gibbston Valley in April 2004, just after a frost episode, and there were grapes on the vines - probably third set from the frost episodes in the spring - and some of the bunches had not even finished veraison. Then that season was followed by poor fruit set in the spring for the 2005 vintage. Martinborough might have been a better bet -or Waipara. Even Marlborough on the right site - there's some gorgeous pinots coming out of there now that the Dijon clones are becoming more established.

Ian Sutton wrote:On the subject of Otago, I presume you've read Pinot Pioneers by Ric Oram? Usually these regional books can be a little too full of lightweight magazine style "gloss", but I found this one to be an excellent insight in the mentality (very intentional use of the word!) of people setting out to make wine in an otherwise non-wine region. A book that makes me hope the pioneers do find a place for themselves in the wine world.

No, but I've read several others. One is called 'Vineyards on the Edge', a very apt title for this region. But with the climate change that everyone is talking about, Central Otago could possibly be the best place to be.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:19 am

I am a retailer here in Oregon. Gary has had several wineries and he always wants to push price. When I first tasted his NZ Pinot I felt that it was not close to $50 retail. It now sells for $35 but it does sell for me at that price. He has always wanted to push price whether it was Archery Summit or Pine Ridge or his current venture in Central Otago. The quality has always been an issue.