The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Enophiles in Enfield

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Enophiles in Enfield

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 am

So we pack up the llamas and start the trek south to a gathering at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Rieslingfans to celebrate the end of the summer. After navigating the Mass Pike Municipal Parking Lot, getting stuck behind a student 18-wheeler driver, a c.1910 tractor, and some farm equipment hauling freshly picked tobacco (Are we in Chapel Hill?), we arrive at our destination.

We are greeted with a chilled glass of Alexander Gysler Bundle of Scheu Scheurebe (Rheinhessen) a fun, little bright sparkler.

Next we find Dr. Weiss uncorking an array of Marc Ollivier, Domaine de la Pepiere Clos des Briords Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine. Sweet! Well, not literally..
2000: The fruit has faded a bit, the palate is developing some creaminess, and the acidity is really nicely balanced with the salt spray and minerals. Very nice.
2001: Leaker. Damn those corks. A bit oxidized and flat but still actually pretty good
2002: Yummmy. This was co- white WOTN for me. Fresh, clean, crisp and everything playing happily together.
2004: I haven’t had this one since last year and it sure is good. The acidity isn’t quite as prevalent and the body seems slightly fuller. Even though it’s still pretty tight, it is ery refreshing.
2005: And I thought the ’04 was still tight. Yowzah. I’ve had this quite a few times recently and I know the acidity is pretty sharp, but having it with these other wines really makes it seem all the more edgy. I’m also picking up more of a bitter finish than in past tastes. It’s very good all the same

And off we go…Here is a snapshot of the rest of the wines, leaving the social commentary to others…
2005 Johannishof (Eser) Johannisberg “G” Riesling Kabinett (Rheingau)AP# 10 06. G = Goldatzel Vineyard. Yum. Very expressive nose, all kinds of tropical and red fruit flavor, excellent acidity and balance. This is pretty (very) large for a kabinett but it’s extremely tasty and is a nice summer porch wine.

1989 R. López de Heredia Viña Gravonia (Rioja) Golden colored, super honeyed, toffee nose. Great warm-toned nose, in fact. The mid-palate doesn’t have the depth of the Tondonia Reserva blanco but it’s very flavorful and well balanced.

2000 Huet Vouvray Pétillant Brut (Loire) Very appley and shut down compared to a year ago.

NV Eric Rodez Blanc de Noir Ambonnay Grand Cru Brut (Champagne) Bright, lively, strawberry and yeasty nose. Lots of plum and red fruit flavors and a long yeasty finish. Good stuff.

2000 Boxler Sommerberg Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace) “L31D” This is fantastic wine. Up there for white WOTN with the ’02 Pepiere. Everythihg I would want in an Alsatian riesling, rich nose, super minerality, great structure.

1998 Mann Schlossberg Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace) Tough to follow that Boxler. This is kind of disjointed so I’m back for another pour of Boxler.

2000 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling (Alsace) A sacrifice to allay concerns about potential bottle damage. Tight but seemingly sound.

2004 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard (Willamette Valley, Oregon) My first St. I. Smoky cherry, lots of herbs, a bit of cocoa, deep minerality and chewy tannins. While extremely primary, I really like this a lot and am looking forward to seeing how this develops.

1999 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Seven Springs Vineyard (Willamette Valley, Oregon) My second St. I. It took a lot of swirling but then these rich leathery, earthy aromas came out. Lots of dusty black cherry flavor with fine (compared to the ’04), chalky tannins. It seems like this wine is just beginning to wake up.

1996 Teófilo Reyes Tinto (Ribera del Duero) Big nose and flavor of sweet dark fruit and chocolate with a finish that fades off rather abruptly.

1976 R. López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva (Rioja) Super elegant, fragrant nose of dried flowers, dried fruit and old wood, soft mouth feel with very subtle flavors and finely integrated tannins. This is a wine that deserves to be enjoyed on its own.

2002 Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne Rouge (Burgundy) This is tight. Big vanilla nose, dark fruit hiding in the background, and a bit disjointed finish

1999 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard (Sonoma County) Still a young pup. Huge dusty fruit, earth, tar, and herbs, quite tannic and powerful with great balance. Give it a few more years to get this most of out this wine.

1996 Muller-Catoir Mussbacher Eselhaut Rieslaner Spatlese (Pfalz) Ohhh dawggie. That’s some serious acidity. My taste buds are re-awakened or maybe burnt off.

1999 Wittmann Werthofener Steingrube Beerenauslese Spatburgunder (Rheinhessen) #023 00 I’m not sure if I have any taste buds left at this point but this wine is sweet, rich, and has decent enough acidity. Pretty good.

[Edited out a brain cramp]
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: Enophiles in Enfield

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:So we pack up the llamas

Were they Llamas or Alpacas?

Nice notes. I agree with you much more than that Rush guy (though I liked the 00 Briords more than the 02).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:26 am

I never could tell the difference.

Nice notes. I agree with you much more than that Rush guy (though I liked the 00 Briords more than the 02).
Limbaugh? I didnt think you'd agree with him at all.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 am

JoePerry wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:So we pack up the llamas

Peruvian spitting Alpacas.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 am

Sure Bill, start off my day with all those Pepiere tasting notes. You know how to get me going eh.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:12 pm

Sorry to pile it on there, Bob. About time you cracked one of yours Briords open and give us a report.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Bob,
It was your poignant plaintive protests about Pepiere purchasability paucity that gave me the idea to do a Briords minivertical so Bill could write notes for you. Glad you enjoyed them (er...the notes I mean).
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:08 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Bob,
It was your poignant plaintive protests about Pepiere purchasability paucity that gave me the idea to do a Briords minivertical so Bill could write notes for you. Glad you enjoyed them (er...the notes I mean).
Charles

Really, thanks...........!!

http://www.clipartguide.com/_pages/0060 ... -1616.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Charles,
Joe's wines are not sold in Kentucky either. I think I might just ask some one of you New Yorkers to send me a bottle of this elixer!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Charles,
Joe's wines are not sold in Kentucky either. I think I might just ask some one of you New Yorkers to send me a bottle of this elixer!

New Yorkers?? Where??? I thought they all left after Monday!!!
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:03 pm

and you guys complain about that other place not keeping the discussion on wine? Sheesh!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Charles,

Two words, Bob: Chambers Street.

Goes double after Judge Simpson's ruling today!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:04 pm

Charles,

I'm sure I've been called worse, but I can't remember when!
Charles

Just kidding---us Red Sox fans have a lot of raw wounds to lick.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:14 am

Excellent posting Bill! Lotsa nice wine geek wines.

One teeny tiny nit... the Huet is actually from the Loire.

But, I know you know that.

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:43 am

Mike..thanks. Didnt Huet move recently? (just kiddin) :D
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:46 am

You`re up early Bill. It`s 4.40 am!! I`m off birding in the boreal up here so off to an early start. Still thinking Pepiere...bah humbug!
no avatar
User

Karl Wee

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Massachusetts, USA

by Karl Wee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:36 pm

I really enjoyed the partying and the drinking. Thanks to David for the party!

Karl
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:42 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Are you a member, newly recruited, of the Bill and Charles gang out there in Bbbbbbbaston!!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:06 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Welcome to the forum!! Are you a member, newly recruited, of the Bill and Charles gang out there in Bbbbbbbaston!!

Karl is like a rare flower that blooms every 3 years... or, was, hopefully he'll be around more often :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:59 am

Hey Karl. It was great sharing some wine with you at David's. Hope to see you drop in on this forum more often.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:11 am

Welcome Karl. Glad you finally made it back here.

We're more than happy to discuss the provenance of Red Burgundy here.

I'm curious as to your reaction on the Mugneret-Gibourg. I know you had to leave shortly thereafter, and it was somewhat overshadowed by the LdH.
no avatar
User

Karl Wee

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Massachusetts, USA

by Karl Wee » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:48 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement of a lost sheep. I will drop by more often.

David, I couldn't quite get a good read on the Bourgogne. (There were too many great wines: the two Riojas, my first Boxler, some of the Muscadets...) That's why I didn't say much at the party about it. To try a really great Bourgogne, get the 04 Brintet from T&V for $13. They still had some when I checked not long ago.

Karl