WTN: 2006 Donnafugata Passito di Pantelleria Ben Ryé

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2006 Donnafugata Passito di Pantelleria Ben Ryé

Postby Salil » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:35 am

David Bueker had told me about this sweet wine some time ago - I saw this on the wine list at a phenomenal new Italian restaurant in Singapore, so had a glass for dessert after a stunning lunch. Bright golden-orange in colour with intense aromatics of orange blossom, apricots and dried fruits. Very sweet and rich in the mouth, slightly viscous and oily in texture with mouthcoating flavours of apricots and mandarin oranges drenched in honey. Finishes very long; delicious wine.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Re: WTN: 2006 Donnafugata Passito di Pantelleria Ben Ryé

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:42 am

Oh, you are off to a flying start this month Salil. This Ben Rye is tremendous, but $35 for a 375ml here. Look forward to more postings from you here in Focus.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby JC (NC) » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Italian wine I assume? I believe I have had a Pantelleria from Cyprus on several occasions but it may not have been passito style--was still somewhat sweet.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah this is fun stuff. To me it tastes like the most perfect dried apricots in the whole world. Yum!
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to Wine Focus