The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Many white Burgs by pool, plus Bdx, red Burgs, SuperTuscan, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Many white Burgs by pool, plus Bdx, red Burgs, SuperTuscan, etc

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:32 am

Jacques and Jill Levy hosted a great pool party today, with great wines and food. There was lobster, scallops, shrimp and fish by pool, with assorted mayos including truffle and saffron. Loads of great wines, the whites included:

1995 Verget "Valmur" Chablis
Some thought this oxidized, I didn't, but thought it thin and empty. C+

1998 Ramonet Chevalier-Montrachet

Weird nose, what is this? Lemon Pledge! But actually on palate pretty good, with citrus, mineral, and a little oak. B/B+

1998 Ramonet Bienvenues Batard-Montrachet
Oxidized to all hell, cooked apple juice, no thanks D

2002 Fevre "Bourgos" Chablis
So Fevre cut back on oak? Hard to tell here. Good minerality and some white pit fruit, but a forest on top (but not La Foret). B/B+

1991 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
I thought this pretty good, others found it corked. I think of myself as moderately TCA sensitive, still liked it. But earlier more than later. B/B_

1999 Verget "Les Enseignieres" Puligny Montrachet
A bit woody, moderate fruit, ok

2000 Paul Pernot Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet
Killer juice, rich, sprightly, just a hint of oak, lively yet rich. A/A-

2000 Prudhom "Les Enseignieres" Puligny Montrachet
Rich but balanced, a little less depth but nice. B+/B

1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
Many people's favorite, more ripe/tropical than the Pernot, I like, but not as crisp as the Pernot. A-

1997 Leflaive Batard Montrachet
Fat and lush, with mineral and stone fruit aromas. B+

2003 Weinbach "Clos des Capucins" Muscat

Floral, floral,and floral, typically Muscat, where's the white asparagus? Others like more than me, it's just situational, not something I want by itself. B-

1992 Leo Schwab Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese (MSR)
Lots of petrol and lanolin, cooked pit fruit, others like more than mysefl. B

We headed up top, I sampled a few of the reds before I had to leave:

1990 Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
I didn't think as good as my last bottle, more pruney and advanced. Round ripe fruit with that Pomerol lushness. David B. said it was good but not "fresh"; I think that's right on money. B

1982 Vallana Spanna

This isn't as fresh as the 1955 or 1958, ok, but not exciting. B-

2001 Trotanoy (Pomerol)
Earthy/stinky nose, backward, structured, curious as to what others thought as it developed -hope someone lets me know. B+?

1996 Bouchard "L'Enfant Jessus" Beaune 1er
Good acidity, a little stinky, lots of mushroom odors overall. Needs time to open, a B- for start

2002 Laurent Roumier Bonne Mares
Pleasant midweight Burg, unsure it has GC weight, but nice. B/B+

1995 Figeac
Herbal, herbal, and herbal, but in a nice way. B=/B

1998 La Gomerie

Surprising subdued, but maybe because it was just opened. Red plum andberry fruit. B

1990 Terrabianca Campaccio Riserva ("wax seal")
Rob quickly opened this because I had to leave early. I thought the 1997 of this was too oaky last year, but in this one the oak had integrated nicely. Cedary with a menthol edge, ripe '90 fruit but with a little acidic edge to keep lively. A-/A

Really nice party. I wish I could have stuck around for Jacques' steaks (and some more wines like the '90 La Conseillante!!) , but last evening was only opportunity to see my wife all day (and I have a full day today)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.