The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Papes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 3 Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Papes

by geo t. » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:59 pm

It was just another day in the department last Thursday, when I received a visit from Colette Comeau, ace sales rep for Eagle Eye Imports, out of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; she was accompanied by the proprietors of one of the French estates that Eagle Eye represents in the US, Dany and Christian Berthet-Rayne, growers and producers of excellent Côtes du Rhône and Châteauneuf du Pape.

Domaine Berthet-Rayne is located quite near to Château de Beaucastel, between Orange and Avignon, but Christian doesn’t wish to be compared to their famous neighbor, because, as he put it, they (Beaucastel) have become a very large operation, while "we are still a small family domaine." Small or not, however, these folks are making some very nice wines indeed, growing all of their own grapes, practicing organic farming exclusively. Christian says that the Berthet-Rayne wines draw their strength and richness from Argilo-calcareous chalky clay soils (22 hectares worth), and after trying them, one has to admit that they are quite impressive, showing a real sense of place.

I’ve tried one of their Châteauneuf du Papes previously, and while that was a solid, if unspectacular effort, much of the current lineup impressed me quite a bit more. Here are my impressions of the three they tasted with me:

2004 Domaine Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Pape Tradition Rouge, 65% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre, 10% Cinsault & 5% Syrah, $29.99, 14% alc.: Deep dark garnet color, with a lovely perfume and a smoky, sunbaked character that cradles the black plum and berry fruit, all anchored with a deep, earthy iron core; full body and big structure here, with solid tannins that clamp down on the fin. Christian says that these are at their prime drinking window at around the 7th year from the vintage, but this strikes me as being a 10 year wine and then some. Whatever the case, it shows excellent promise and offers good value for the price tag.

2003 Domaine Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Pape Vieilli en Fût de Chene, 65% Grenache, 30% Mourvedre & 5% Cinsault, $33.99, 14% alc.: Aged in 2, 3, 4 and 5 year old barrels, and this smoky dark garnet does reflect that in both flavor and aroma, but in a complimentary manner, and in perfect proportion the greater whole of the wine; quite approachable, it gives pretty black plums and red and black berries shaded with smoke and spice. With good structure and length, this impresses me as being three to five years from its peak.

2001 Domaine Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Cadiac, 50% Grenache, 50% Mourvedre, $51.99, 14% alc.: This smoky dark garnet, the Berthet-Rayne flagship, saw 100% new oak, but the wine is anything but an oak bomb; the wood is very well integrated, blending seamlessly with the earth, leather, smoke and black fruit flavors and aromas, and while it’s quite lovely now, it has the structure to develop and improve over the next three to five years. Pure, lovely Châteauneuf du Pape character.

- From Wines of Domaine Berthet-Rayne

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 3 Berthet-Rayne Châteauneuf du Papes

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:38 am

Sounds good for our market too! We have a very good selection in my fav. store downtown but could use 3 more!!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:27 am

i too thought the '04 was the real deal and bought some for the cellar. are you a retailer? eagle eye brings in some really good stuff and i'm glad that jean-jacques has such good sales people. thanks for posting about this winery. i will look at their website.
david creighton
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:30 pm

creightond wrote:i too thought the '04 was the real deal and bought some for the cellar. are you a retailer? eagle eye brings in some really good stuff and i'm glad that jean-jacques has such good sales people. thanks for posting about this winery. i will look at their website.

David, yes, I'm a retailer these days. You'll have to look at the Eagle Eye website to find anything about Berthet-Rayne; they don't have a website of their own.

See you at MoCool?

Cheers,

geo

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:51 pm

I hope that David comes to Mo'Cool Geo, and you can be assured that I will be there with rings in my fingers and bells on my toes. Might even bring wine! :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I hope that David comes to Mo'Cool Geo, and you can be assured that I will be there with rings in my fingers and bells on my toes. Might even bring wine! :)

Hey Bob, I think you'll be taking some home, too!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:18 am

i wish i could but i have to work beginning in late afternoon at a big charity tasting in the pontiac area - wouldn't do to start out early. also have to work friday night, so will miss the pre event; but will send wine for robin and others to try. -------- so which retail store?
david creighton
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:00 am

creightond wrote:i wish i could but i have to work beginning in late afternoon at a big charity tasting in the pontiac area - wouldn't do to start out early. also have to work friday night, so will miss the pre event; but will send wine for robin and others to try. -------- so which retail store?

Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace, Clinton Twp.; sorry you won't be able to attend...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :(
Nunquam Spuemus